69 A Multi-dimensional Personality
多面性格
“He looks very dignified in that business suit,” said Mary, as her eyes wandered in the man's direction.
“穿着那套西装,他看上去很高贵。”玛丽说着,她迷离的目光转向了那个男人。
“In fact, he would dignify just about anything he chooses to wear.
“事实上,他无论穿什么,都能显出高贵。
Dignity like that can only come from a good background and superior training.”
这种高贵只能来自良好的出身和高级的培养。”
“What are you talking about?” said John.
“你在说什么?”约翰问,
“We were having an important discussion about diplomacy and the next thing I know, you're talking about that diplomatic courier in the dingy suit over there.”
“我们刚刚还在进行一个有关外交工作的重要讨论,可你现在又在谈论那边衣着邋遢的外交信使了。”
“Please pardon my digression,” said Mary.
“请原谅我离题了,”玛丽说,
“I didn't mean to diminish the importance of our conversation.
“我并不想贬低我们谈话的重要性。
I usually become digressive when I am exhausted or bored.
通常我疲惫厌倦时,就会离题。
Sometimes, I feel I need to dilate my pupils to remain attentive.
有时,我觉得需要扩大瞳孔才能精神集中。
Could it be the carbon dioxide in my respiratory system?”
是不是因为我呼吸系统中的二氧化碳在作怪?”
“No,” John said, “but perhaps you should dilute your alcoholic drinks with water.
“不会,”约翰说,“但也许你该在你含酒精的饮料中加水稀释后再喝,
It's hard to be a diligent listener when you're drunk.”
喝醉了酒就很难再当尽职的听众了。”
“I try to listen diligently,” replied Mary.
“我在努力尽职地听,”玛丽回答,
“Don't you see? That is my dilemma.
“你没看见吗?这就是我的困境。
If I don't think alcohol, I tend to wander off the subject.
如果我不喝酒,我会难以忍受此类无聊的讨论。
Sometimes, I feel I'm wandering off into another dimension, especially with the dim lights in this place.”
如果我喝了酒,我往往会走神跑题。有时,尤其是置身于这里暗淡的灯光中,我感觉我在游离主题进入另一个范围。”
“If I had a dime for every time you've wandered off the subject, I'd be a wealthy man!” said John.
“如果你每次思想开小差,我提醒你都能挣一角钱的话,我很快会成为富翁的。” 约翰说,
“Perhaps you'd be more serious about this job if you weren't such a dilettante.
“如果你不是个业余爱好者,也许对此工作你会更认真些。
It's a good thing for you that you have a multi-dimensional personality.”
你的性格具有多面性,真是太好了。”