66 The Noses Knows
鼻子破案
“One should never investigate a case in a desultory manner,” said Tom.
“人们绝不应该杂乱无章地调查一个案件。”汤姆说,
He slowly detached his pair of silver handcuffs from his police belt.
慢慢地从他的警服皮带上解下那副银色手铐。
“We're going to detain the suspect pending further investigation.”
“在做进一步深入调查期间我们要拘留这个嫌疑犯。”
He put the detached handcuffs on the suspect's wrists.
他把分开的手铐戴在了嫌疑犯的手腕上。
“My nose detects the presence of blood.”
“我的鼻子能察觉出有血迹。”
“You're an amazing detective, Tom,” I said.
“你真是个令人惊服的侦探,汤姆,”我说,
“I didn't know that blood had a detectable odor.
“我不知道血液具有可察觉的气味。
If it is blood, our suspect might be spending the rest of his life in detention.
如果是血的话,这个嫌疑犯的后半生要在拘留中度过。
Do you think that a life sentence will deter other people from committing crimes?”
你认为终身监禁会使人们放弃犯罪的念头吗?”
“Perhaps it will deter a few people,” Tom responded.
“有些人也许会的。”汤姆回答说,
“I think a death sentence is a much better deterrent,” he said, smirking.
“我认为死刑更具有威慑力。”他得意地笑着说,
“Look here. It appears that he tried to use detergent to clean up the blood.
“看这儿,看上去他曾试图用清洁剂把血迹擦干净。
Now we have to determine whether to apply to Judge Firecracker's court for a search warrant.
现在我们必须决定是否要向法克拉克法官申请搜查令。
Blood will deteriorate search warrant, it might be too late.
血迹过一段时间会消退而不易查明了。如果我们等到法官对我们搜查令的请求做出决定,恐怕就太晚了。
I detest delays.”
我讨厌耽误时间。”
“Tom, I strongly recommend that we wait for the warrant,” I advised.
“汤姆,我强烈建议我们等到搜查令再说。”我劝他说,
“Legality should be the determinant.
“合法性应该是决定因素。
If the search is later declared illegal by the court, it will be very detrimental to our case.
如果我们的搜查事后被法院宣布为违法,那对我们的案件侦破是很不利的。
I think waiting a few days won't detract from our investigation.”
我想等几天也不会有损于我们的调查的。”
“I guess you're right,” Tom replied.
“你说得对,”汤姆回答,
“Searching without a warrant could prove to be a detriment.
“没有得到搜查令的搜查其后果肯定会贻害无穷。
Besides, if Judge Firecracker ever found out, it would create a temper detonation that would blow the roof off the courthouse. ”
此外,一旦法克拉克法官查出来,他会脾气大爆发,连法院屋顶也会炸上天哪。”