I didn't know it was called that, Sir.
“我不知道它叫这个名字,先生。”
But I expect you've realized by now what it does?
“不过我猜想你现在已经知道它的魔力了吧?”
It—well—it shows me my family—
“它——哦——使我看到我的家人——”
And it showed your friend Ron himself as head boy.
“还使你的朋友罗恩看到自己变成了男生学生会主席。”
How did you know?
“你怎么知道——”
I don't need a cloak to become invisible, said Dumbledore gently. Now, can you think what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?
“我可不是非要隐形衣才能隐形。”邓布利多温和地说,“那么,你能不能想一想,厄里斯魔镜使我们大家看到了什么呢?”
Harry shook his head.
哈利摇了摇头。
Let me explain. The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is. Does that help?
“让我解释一下吧。世界上最幸福的人可以把厄里斯魔镜当成普通的镜子使用,也就是说,他在镜子里看见的就是他自己的模样。明白点什么了吗?”
Harry thought. Then he said slowly, It shows us what we want... whatever we want...
哈利在思考。然后他慢慢地说:“镜子使我们看到我们想要的东西……不管我们想要什么……”
Yes and no, said Dumbledore quietly. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts.
“也对,也不对,”邓布利多轻轻地说道,“它使我们看到的只是我们内心深处最追切、最强烈的渴望。
You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you.
你从未见过你的家人,所以就看见他们站在你的周围。
Ronald Weasley, who has always been overshadowed by his brothers, sees himself standing alone, the best of all of them.
罗恩韦斯莱一直在他的几个哥哥面前相形见绌,所以他看见自己独自站着,是他们中间最出色的。
However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth.
然而,这面镜子既不能教给我们知识,也不能告诉我们实情。
Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible.
人们在它面前虚度时日,为他们所看见的东西而痴迷,甚至被逼得发疯,因为他们不知道镜子里的一切是否真实,是否可能实现。