Diarmuid: Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English. I'm Diarmuid. 大家好,欢迎收听BBC地道美语节目。我是圣保罗。
Feifei: 大家好,我是冯菲菲。 Diarmuid you don't look very happy. What's wrong? 圣保罗,你看上去很不开心,发生什么事了?
Diarmuid: I just went to the bank and I couldn't take any money out. I'm really skint. S.K.I.N.T. 我刚刚跑到银行,但是我去不了钱。我身无分文了。
Feifei: 如果你银行账户的余额是零的话,那么难道不应该说 you're poor 你很穷吗?
Diarmuid: Well, skint is another word for poor. If someone is skint, they have very little money. 嗯,这个单词跟poor差不多,他们几乎没有钱。
Feifei: 那能不能用 skint 这个词来代替 poor 呢?
Diarmuid: Skint and poor are both adjectives but skint is usually used when someone has run out of money temporarily. 这两个词都是形容词,但是skint通常是在人们暂时没钱的时候用。
Feifei: Skint 常指由于最近手头比较紧,钱花完了,但是很快就又会有钱了,所以 skint 指得这个穷法是短时期的,暂时的。
Diarmuid: Yes, they will have some money again quite soon. 是的,他们很快就会又有钱了。
Feifei: 这么说当我们把这个月的工资花完后在急切盼望下个月的工资时可以说我们 skint?
Diarmuid: Absolutely, you can use skint when you have spent all of your money and you're waiting to be paid again. 当然,你可以在花光所有的钱,盼望下个月工资的时候用这个词。
Feifei: 那能再举个例子吗?
Diarmuid: Here are some examples of how to use the word skint. 这里有些使用这个单词的例子。
Examples
A: Do you want to come to the cinema on Friday night? 星期五晚上想来电影院吗?
B: I can't, I'm really skint this month. 不行,这个月我身无分文了。
A: My girlfriend likes to shop a lot. 我女友很喜欢购物。
B: Oh really, does she have expensive tastes? 哦,真的吗,她喜欢贵的东西吗?
A: Yes. I'm usually skint after we go out shopping together. 是的,经常是我们一起购物后我就身无分文了。
Feifei: Ok, I think I understand. Skint 是一个俚语单词,表示一个人短时期,暂时没有钱。
Diarmuid: Yes, that's correct. 是的,那是对的。
Feifei: Good, well I guess that's the end of today's programme. Shall we go and get some lunch? 好,嗯,我想今天的节目就到这儿了。我们现在出去吃午餐吧?
Diarmuid: I can't afford to buy lunch. I'm too skint. 我吃不起午餐了。我实在是身无分文了。
Feifei: I'll buy you lunch. I'm loaded 我很有钱。 Loaded 可以用来说某人很有钱。
Diarmuid: Ok thanks. And if you would like to learn more about the use of the word loaded join us next time on Authentic Real English. 好的,谢谢。如果你想学更多地道美语,欢迎收听下期的节目。
Feifei: 别忘了可以可以登陆我们每天更新的网站学习更多的地道英语 www.bbcchina.com.cn. 感谢收听,下次再会。