Smirting 以借火和某人搭讪
Diarmuid: Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English. I'm Diarmuid. 大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道美语节目。我是圣保罗。
Feifei: 大家好,我是冯菲菲。 Why are you looking so happy Diarmuid? 圣保罗,为什么你看上去那么开心?
Diarmuid: Well, earlier today, I was outside on my telephone, when a lady asked me for a lighter. 嗯,今天早晨我在外面打电话,一位女士过来问我借打火机。
Feifei: 打火机。
Diarmuid: Yes, I think she might have been trying to smirt with me. 是的,我以为她是来问我借火的。
Feifei: 她想和你干什么 smirt?
Diarmuid: Yes, smirt, S.M.I.R.T, smirt. Now smirt is a slang word to describe flirting with another person when you are smoking. 这个单词是当你们在吸烟的时候和某人调情的。
Feifei: It sounds like smoking and flirting have been joined together to make the word smirting. 听上去是吸烟和调情这两个词加在一起构成了这个词。
Diarmuid: Exactly, that is how the word smirting is created. 确实是,这就是这个词构成。
Feifei: 原来是这个意思,今天早上问 Diarmuid 借火的这个女孩子其实对 Diarmuid 有好感,所以以借火为由和他搭讪。
Diarmuid: Yes, but I didn't have a lighter, because I don't smoke, so that was the end of the conversation. 是的,但是我没有打火机,因为我不吸烟,所以就不了了之。
Feifei: Was she pretty? 她可爱吗?
Diarmuid: She was very pretty. 她非常可爱。
Feifei: Oh well. She'll probably be there tomorrow if you want to talk to her again. 现在在英国几乎所有的公共场所,像办公室,饭馆儿,都是禁烟的,所以想抽烟的朋友们只能去户外抽烟。What do people usually say when they are smirting? 以借火搭讪的时候会说什么呢?
Diarmuid: It depends. Here is an example of some people smirting: 这得看情况。下面是一些人以借火和某人搭讪的实例:
Example
A: Hi, could I borrow your lighter? 嗨,我能借用一下你的打火机吗?
B: Sure. 当然。
A: Thanks. Are you new here? 谢谢,你是新来的吗?
B: Yeah, I just started in the IT department. 是的,我刚来,在IT部门。
A: Oh great, I work in the office right next to you. 哦,很好,我就在你旁边的办公室里工作。
B: I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other. 我想我们会经常见面的。
Feifei: All this talk of smirting is making me feel a little lonely. 不知道我什么时候才能遇到梦中的白马王子呀!
Diarmuid: You do know that smoking is bad for you and that there are healthier ways to meet a nice guy than to smirt. 你一定知道吸烟对你有害,除了借火搭讪这种方法,还有很多好的方法去认识好人。
Feifei: I know. 我知道。
Diarmuid: Ok, well that's all for today. 好的,今天的节目就到这儿了。
Feifei: Don't forget you can learn more Authentic Real English words and expressions by logging onto our website www.bbcchina.com.cn. See you soon. 别忘了登陆我们的网站,你可以学更多的地道美语习语。再见。