Journey to the West 63 A Question for Buddha
《西游记》第六十三章 老龟的问题
The Tang Monk jumped to his feet as the villagers hid behind trees.
唐僧跳了起来。村民们都躲到了树桩后面。
Wukong, Wujing, and Bajie pulled out their weapons. A large shell rose from the water.
悟空、悟净和八戒都拿起了兵器。一只巨大的老龟露出了水面。
“It’s a giant turtle!” said Bajie. The turtle bowed its head toward Wukong.
“是只巨大的老龟!” 八戒说。老龟向悟空行礼。
“That demon had taken over my house and river.
“那妖怪占了我的水府。
Thank you for getting rid of him.” The turtle then looked at the villagers.
谢谢你赶走了他。” 老龟又看向村民们。
“You don’t need to make a boat. I can take the travelers across the river.”
“你们不用造船了。我会驮着他们过河的。”
“That’s wonderful!” said the Tang Monk.
“那太好了!” 唐僧说,
“I’m from the Tang Empire, and—” “I know who you are,” interrupted the turtle.
“我来自大唐,我……”“我知道你是谁。” 老龟打断了唐僧的话,
“You’re traveling to the Western Paradise to get scriptures from Buddha.
“你们是去西天取经的。
I knew you would cross my river eventually. Climb onto my shell.”
我知道你们会经过我的河。到我的壳上来吧。”
Wukong eyed the turtle suspiciously. “How do we know we can trust you?
悟空怀疑地看了看老龟。“我们怎么知道能不能相信你?
Demons all along the way are waiting for my master to pass by.”
这一路上妖怪都在等着我师父。”
“They all want to eat him,” added Bajie.
“他们都想吃了我的师父。” 八戒补充说。
“I promise I won’t hurt the Tang Monk,” said the turtle.
“我保证我不会伤害唐僧的。” 老龟说,
“I want to help him reach the Western Paradise.”
“我想帮助他。”
After a little more hesitation, the travelers stepped onto the turtle’s shell. The turtle began to paddle.
唐僧一行人犹豫了一会儿,走上了老龟的壳。老龟开始向河对岸游去。
The villagers came out from behind the trees and waved.
村民们从树桩后面走了出来,向唐僧他们挥手告别。
“Good-bye!” called a woman. “Please visit us on your way home!” shouted someone else.
“再见!” 一个女人喊道。“你们回大唐的时候,一定要来看我们!” 另一个人大声说道。
“We will, I promise!” called the monk. Soon the turtle was far from shore.
“我们会的,我保证!” 唐僧大声说道。不一会儿,老龟就离河岸很远了。
Bajie fell asleep. The turtle glanced back at the Tang Monk.
八戒睡着了。老龟回头看了看唐僧。
“Excuse me, but can you do me a favor?” “Of course,” said the monk. “What do you need me to do?”
“不好意思,你可以帮我一个忙吗?”“当然。” 唐僧说,“你需要我做什么?”
“I have been a good Buddhist for over a thousand years,” said the turtle. “But sadly I’m still just a turtle.
我已经在这里修行上千年了。” 老龟说,“但我现在还是只老龟。
Can you ask Buddha when I will be reborn as a human?”
你能帮我问一下佛祖,我什么时候才能修成人身吗?”
The Tang Monk nodded. “I will ask him.”
唐僧点点头。“我会问他的。”
A few hours later, the turtle reached the other side of the river.
几个小时后,老龟游到了河的对岸。
The travelers stepped onto dry land. “Thank you,” said the Tang Monk.
唐僧他们上了岸。“谢谢你。” 唐僧说。
“You’re welcome,” said the turtle. “Please don’t forget to ask Buddha about me.”
“不客气。” 老龟说,“请不要忘了帮我问佛祖我的事情。”
The turtle disappeared under the water.
老龟潜入水下消失了。
The Tang Monk climbed onto the horse, and the group continued on the road.
唐僧上了马。一行人继续赶路。
As usual, Bajie soon started complaining.
和往常一样,八戒很快就开始抱怨了。
“I’m tired of walking already. I wish we could ride that turtle the whole way to the west.”
“我走不动了。我希望我们可以骑着那老龟去西天。”
“Stop complaining,” said Wukong.
“别抱怨了。” 悟空说,
“Be happy that the road is flat here.” They walked for another couple of hours.
“这里的路很平坦,已经很好了。”他们又走了几个小时。
The road started to go up a mountain, getting steeper and steeper.
接下来他们要走山路,越往上,路越难走。
The pig moaned, “The road isn’t flat anymore!” A cold wind whipped past them.
八戒抱怨起来。“这路太难走了!”一阵寒风吹过。
“Brr!” Wujing shivered. “Look!” said the Tang Monk, pointing.
“呃!” 悟净哆嗦起来。“看!” 唐僧指着前方说。
Higher up the mountain was a large monastery. “Maybe we can rest there.”
不远处的山上有个很大的庙。“也许我们可以在那里休息一下。”
Wukong looked at the monastery. A dark mist hung over it. The monkey shook his head.
悟空看了看那座庙。它的顶上笼罩着一层黑雾。悟空摇摇头。
“That’s a bad place. We’re not going there.”
“那个地方不太好,我们不去那里。”
“It looks fine to me,” said the monk. “I can see things that humans can’t see,” said Wukong.
“我觉得挺好啊。” 唐僧说。“我可以看到凡人看不见的东西。” 悟空说,
“And I see a dark mist hanging over that monastery. A demon could be in there.”
“我看到那庙上有一层黑雾。里面可能有妖怪。”
There was a sudden growling sound. Wukong looked around to see what had caused it.
突然,传来了一阵咕噜咕噜声。悟空看了看四周,想知道那声音是从哪里来的。
Bajie patted his stomach. “Sorry, I’m a bit hungry.”
八戒拍了拍肚子。“抱歉,我有点儿饿了。”
“We’re all tired and hungry,” said the Tang Monk.
“我们都又累又饿。” 唐僧说,
“We should just go to that monastery.” “No,” said Wukong sharply.
“我们就去那座庙吧。”“不行。” 悟空厉声说,
“Stay here. I will find food for us.”
“呆在这里。我去找食物。”
He looked at the monk and warned him again, “Do not go to that monastery!”
他看了看唐僧,又警告了他一次。“绝对不能去那座庙!”