So, Emily Guskin, because you're the deputy polling director here at The Post, I want to know what it's like to be asked about a poll over the phone.
艾米丽·古斯金,鉴于你是《华盛顿邮报》的副民意调查主任,我想知道通过电话被问及民意调查是什么感觉。
Like, let's say that I have been chosen to answer a poll that's being conducted by The Washington Post.
比如,假设我被选中回答《华盛顿邮报》正在进行的一项民意调查。
What does that look like?
那会是什么样子?
Well, first, your phone's going to ring for this poll.
好吧,首先,您会接到民意调查的来电。
Okay, let's -- let's just -- let's do it for real. Okay.
好吧,我们--我们--我们来情景模拟一下吧。好的。
So...do-do-do, ring, ring, ring, ring. So, I pick up the phone.
所以...嘟-嘟-嘟,嘟。然后,我接起电话。
Hello? Hello. I'm Emily. We're not selling anything.
喂?你好,我是艾米丽。我们不是来推销东西的。
Just doing an opinion poll on interesting subjects in the news.
只是想对新闻中有趣的话题进行民意调查。
I'm sorry. I'm -- I'm a little busy right now. How -- How long is this going to take?
不好意思,我--我现在有点忙。这需要花多长时间?
Very short. We'd love to have your opinion. May I please speak to Martine?
很短。我们很想听听您的意见。我可以和玛蒂娜通话吗?
Uh, this is she.
呃,我就是。
Wonderful. Again, my name is Emily.
太好了。嗯,我是艾米丽。
Before we continue, are you driving or doing anything that requires your full attention right now?
在我们继续之前,请问您现在是否在开车或在做任何需要全神贯注的事情?
Uh...I mean, I'm, like, washing the dishes, so I guess not?
呃...我,我正在洗碗,所以应该不是吧?
So, super. We will go ahead, then.
太好了,那我们就继续吧。
That's my co-host, Martine Powers, speaking with Emily Guskin, our deputy polling director.
这是我的联合主持人玛蒂娜·鲍尔斯和我们的民调副主任艾米丽·古斯金在通话。
If you're like me or Martine, you may be wondering about all these political polls you've been hearing about right now.
如果你像我或玛蒂娜一样,你可能会对现在听到的各种政治民调感到好奇。
So we brought Emily into our studio to help us make sense of election polling this year and to also give us an idea of what it actually feels like to take a poll over the phone.
所以我们把艾米丽请到了演播室,给我们讲讲今年的选举民调,也让我们了解一下通过电话进行民调的真实感觉。
Are you registered to vote in the District of Columbia or not? Uh, yes, I am.
你在哥伦比亚特区登记投票了吗?对,我登记了。
Do you think you'll vote in person at a polling place on Election Day or vote early, either by mail or in person before Election Day?
你认为你会在选举日亲自到投票站投票,还是会提前投票,不管是邮寄还是在选举日之前亲自投票?
I haven't decided that yet, so I'm not sure.
我还没有决定,所以还不确定。
That's okay. Thanks, Emily. That makes me feel better.
好的。谢谢,艾米丽。这让我感觉好多了。
From the newsroom of The Washington Post, this is "Post Reports."
这里是《华盛顿邮报》新闻编辑部的《华盛顿邮报报道》。
It's Thursday, October 3rd.
今天是星期四,10月3日。
I'm Elahe Izadi, and like my co-host Martine, I haven't quite yet finalized my Election Day plans.
我是伊拉赫·伊扎迪,和我的联合主持人玛蒂娜一样,我还没有敲定我的选举日计划。
That's okay. I'd like you to rate the chances that you will vote in the presidential election this November.
那没关系。我想让你评估一下你在今年11月的总统选举中投票的可能性。
Are you absolutely certain to vote? Will you probably vote? Are the chances 50-50 or less...?
你百分百确定会投票吗?你们可能会投票吗?几率是50%还是更低……?
Today, Emily Guskin, deputy polling director for The Post.
今天,有请《华盛顿邮报》的民调副主任艾米丽·古斯金。
Assuming you vote for president in November, how important will each of these issues be in your choice of which candidate to support?
假设你要在11月的总统竞选中投票,以下问题对你选择支持哪位候选人有多重要?
The economy -- is it extremely important, very important, somewhat important, not too important...?
经济--是极度重要,非常重要,有点重要的,还是不太重要的…?
Emily sits down with Martine to explain everything you need to know about polling.
艾米丽和玛蒂娜坐下来,跟大家聊聊你需要知道的关于民意调查的一切。
It's just weeks until the election, and we're all seeing these headlines.
距离大选只有几周了,我们都看到了这类头条新闻。
"Vice President Kamala Harris and Former President Donald Trump Are Tied in Pennsylvania," or, "Trump Leading by a Tight Margin in Sunbelt States."
“副总统卡玛拉·哈里斯和前总统唐纳德·特朗普在宾夕法尼亚州势均力敌,”或者,“特朗普在阳光地带的州以微弱优势领先。”
It's so hard to know what these polls actually mean for Election Day.
很难知道这些民调对选举日到底意味着什么。
So Martine and Emily break down how you can be a savvy consumer of polls ahead of November 5th.
因此,玛蒂娜和艾米丽分析了如何在11月5日之前成为一名精明的民调观察者。
I'll let Martine take it from here.
接下来就交给玛蒂娜了。