Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Long ago, England controlled an area around Dublin, Ireland, known as the Pale.
很久以前,英格兰控制了爱尔兰都柏林周围的一个地区,被称为范围界限。
But what do you think beyong the pale means as an idiom?
但是你认为超出了范围界限作为一个成语的意思是什么?
This is weird.
这很奇怪。
I left my sandwich in the break room, and now it's gone.
我把三明治忘在休息室了,现在它不见了。
Oh, I think I saw Bob eating it.
哦,我想我看到鲍勃在吃它。
Bob?!
鲍勃?!
He's done bad things before...but stealing my sandwich?
他以前做过坏事。。。但是偷了我的三明治?
That is beyond the pale!
这简直出格了!
I agree.
我同意。
Especially a tuna sandwich.
尤其是金枪鱼三明治。
Wait.
等等。
How did you know it was tuna, Dan?!
丹,你怎么知道那是金枪鱼?!
When someone's behavior is beyond the pale, they have gone past what is acceptable.
当一个人的行为出格时,他们就已经超越了可接受范围。
It can even be offensive or immoral.
它甚至可能是冒犯性的或不道德的。
I think stealing and lying are beyond the pale, Dan.
丹,我认为偷窃和撒谎是不能容忍的。