手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 双语有声读物 > 名著精讲 > 《绿野仙踪》 > 正文

64 第十八章: 多萝茜和她的朋友们决定找甘林达寻求帮助

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Dorothy was ready to cry with disappointment.

多萝茜绝望得几乎要哭出来。

"I have wasted the charm of the Golden Cap to no purpose," she said, "for the Winged Monkeys cannot help me."

她说:“我白白浪费了一次金冠的魔力,飞猴们帮不了我。”

"It is certainly too bad!" said the tender-hearted Woodman.

善良的铁皮人说,“真是太糟糕了!”

The Scarecrow was thinking again, and his head bulged out so horribly that Dorothy feared it would burst.

稻草人又思考起来,他的头突出的隆起,多萝茜担心它要爆裂开来了。

"Let us call in the soldier with the green whiskers," he said, "and ask his advice."

他说:“我们叫那个绿胡须的兵士进来,向他请教请教。”

So the soldier was summoned and entered the Throne Room timidly,

因此,那兵士胆怯地进了宫殿,

for while Oz was alive he never was allowed to come farther than the door.

因为从前奥芝在这里的时候,他从来没有走进门口。

"This little girl," said the Scarecrow to the soldier, "wishes to cross the desert. How can she do so?"

“这位小女孩子,”稻草人对兵士说;“希望穿越沙漠,你有什么办法吗?”

"I cannot tell," answered the soldier, "for nobody has ever crossed the desert, unless it is Oz himself."

“我毫无办法,”兵士回答说。“除了奥芝谁都没有走过沙漠。”

"Is there no one who can help me?" asked Dorothy earnestly.

多萝茜急切地问:“这里的人,难道没有一个能够帮助我?”

"Glinda might," he suggested.

“甘林达能够的,”他建议说。

"Who is Glinda?" inquired the Scarecrow.

稻草人问:“甘林达是什么人?”

"The Witch of the South. She is the most powerful of all the Witches, and rules over the Quadlings.

“住在南方的女巫。她是所有的女巫中力量最强大的,管理着桂特林。

Besides, her castle stands on the edge of the desert, so she may know a way to cross it."

而且,她的城堡就在沙漠的边缘,所以她也许知道哪条路能走出沙漠。”

"Glinda is a Good Witch, isn't she?" asked the child.

多萝茜问:“甘林达是一个善良的女巫吗?”

"The Quadlings think she is good," said the soldier, "and she is kind to everyone.

“桂特林人公认她是好人,”兵士说,“她对每一个人都友好。

I have heard that Glinda is a beautiful woman, who knows how to keep young in spite of the many years she has lived."

我还听说那甘林达非常漂亮,她看上去依然年轻,虽然她已经很老了。”

"How can I get to her castle?" asked Dorothy.

多萝茜问:“我怎么找到她的城堡?”

"The road is straight to the South," he answered, "but it is said to be full of dangers to travelers.

“你要一直向南走,”他回答说,“然而你要知道,对于旅行的人们充满着危险。

There are wild beasts in the woods, and a race of queer men who do not like strangers to cross their country.

在路上,森林里藏着野兽,还有一种奇怪的人,他们不愿意让陌生的客人经过他们的国土。

For this reason none of the Quadlings ever come to the Emerald City."

就是因为这些原因,住在桂特林的人也没有来过这翡翠城。”

The soldier then left them and the Scarecrow said:

于是这个兵士说完这些话,就离开了。稻草人说道,

"It seems, in spite of dangers, that the best thing Dorothy can do is to travel to the Land of the South and ask Glinda to help her.

“那么,似乎只有多萝茜能够不顾路途的危险,去南方的国土:请求甘林达的帮助。

For, of course, if Dorothy stays here she will never get back to Kansas."

当然啦,如果多萝茜不去找甘达林,她永远也不能回到堪萨斯州去。”

"You must have been thinking again," remarked the Tin Woodman.

“你必须再仔细考虑一下,”铁皮人提醒他。

"I have," said the Scarecrow.

“我想过了,”稻草人说。

"I shall go with Dorothy," declared the Lion, "for I am tired of your city and long for the woods and the country again.

“我要和多萝茜一起去,”狮子声明说,“因为我已经厌倦了你的城市,渴望着森林和我的家。

I am really a wild beast, you know.

你得明白,我是一只真正的野兽。

Besides, Dorothy will need someone to protect her."

而且,多萝茜应该有人保护。”

"That is true," agreed the Woodman. "My axe may be of service to her; so I also will go with her to the Land of the South."

“那倒是真的,”铁皮人同意地说。“我的斧头也许可以帮助她,所以我也和她一同去南方的国土。”

"When shall we start?" asked the Scarecrow.

稻草人问:“我们什么时候出发?”

"Are you going?" they asked, in surprise.

他们惊奇地问:“我们?”

"Certainly. If it wasn't for Dorothy I should never have had brains.

“我当然要去。如果不是多萝茜,我也不会得到脑子。

She lifted me from the pole in the cornfield and brought me to the Emerald City.

是她从稻田里的竹竿上救了我,带我到了翡翠城,

So my good luck is all due to her,

所以我的好运道完全是她带给我的,

and I shall never leave her until she starts back to Kansas for good and all."

在她回到堪萨斯州以前,我将永远不离开她。”

"Thank you," said Dorothy gratefully.

“谢谢你们,”多萝茜十分感激地说。

"You are all very kind to me. But I should like to start as soon as possible."

“你们待我太好了,但是我希望我们立刻出发。”

"We shall go tomorrow morning," returned the Scarecrow.

“明天早晨就出发,”稻草人回答说。”

"So now let us all get ready, for it will be a long journey."

“以现在开始准备,因为这也是一次长途跋涉。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
charm [tʃɑ:m]

想一想再看

n. 魅力,迷人,吸引力,美貌
v. (使)陶

 
spite [spait]

想一想再看

n. 恶意,怨恨
vt. 刁难,伤害

联想记忆
burst [bə:st]

想一想再看

n. 破裂,阵,爆发
v. 爆裂,迸发

 
protect [prə'tekt]

想一想再看

vt. 保护,投保

联想记忆
axe [æks]

想一想再看

n. 斧,乐器,突然去除
vt. 用斧砍,突然

 
gratefully

想一想再看

adv. 感激地;感谢地

 
disappointment [.disə'pɔintmənt]

想一想再看

n. 失望,令人失望的人或事

 
pole [pəul]

想一想再看

n. 杆,柱,极点
v. (用杆)支撑

 
timidly ['timidli]

想一想再看

adv. 羞怯地;胆小地

 
castle ['kɑ:sl]

想一想再看

n. 城堡
v. 置于城堡中,(棋)移动王车易

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。