For three days Dorothy heard nothing from Oz.
三天很快就过去了,多萝茜从奥芝那里没有听到任何消息。
These were sad days for the little girl, although her friends were all quite happy and contented.
虽然她的同伴都感到快乐和满足,可是对于这个小女孩子,这些日子是郁郁不乐的。
The Scarecrow told them there were wonderful thoughts in his head; "I have so many wonderful thoughts in my head."
稻草人对他们说,在他的头脑里,产生了一种奇异的思想;“我脑子里有很多美好的想法。”
But he would not say what they were because he knew no one could understand them but himself.
但是他无法用语言表达出来,因为那只是他模糊的感觉罢了,当然没有一个人能够懂得。
When the Tin Woodman walked about he felt his heart rattling around in his breast;
当铁皮人走动的时候,他觉得他的心在胸腔的四周,发出辘辘的声音来;
and he told Dorothy he had discovered it to be a kinder and more tender heart than the one he had owned when he was made of flesh.
然后他告诉多萝茜,他已经感觉到,这颗心和他的肉身时所有的心相比较,是更加善良,而且更加慈爱的了。
The Lion declared he was afraid of nothing on earth, and would gladly face an army or a dozen of the fierce Kalidahs.
狮子则宣称:在这个地球上,它不会怕任何东西了,并且能镇定地去迎战一支军队,或者十二只凶猛的开力大。
Thus each of the little party was satisfied except Dorothy, who longed more than ever to get back to Kansas.
在这个小团体里,除了多萝茜以外,每一个都处于兴奋和快乐中,所以,她渴望能够回到堪萨斯州的愿望更强烈了。
On the fourth day, to her great joy, Oz sent for her,
第四天,奥芝召唤了她,这使她充满了希望,
and when she entered the Throne Room he greeted her pleasantly:
当她走进宫殿中去时,奥芝微笑地说:
"Sit down, my dear; I think I have found the way to get you out of this country."
“我的亲爱的宝贝儿,请坐下来,我想有办法使你走出这个国度了。”
"And back to Kansas?" she asked eagerly.
“还能回到堪萨斯州去?”她急迫地问。
"Well, I'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz,
“唔,我也不能说是堪萨斯州,”奥芝说,
"for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies.
“因为我也不知道那条路在哪里。
But the first thing to do is to cross the desert, and then it should be easy to find your way home."
但是我相信,只要能越过大沙漠,就很容易地找到你回家去的路。”
"How can I cross the desert?" she inquired.
她问:“我怎么能够穿越这沙漠?”
"Well, I'll tell you what I think," said the little man.
“哦,我有一个绝妙的主意,”矮小的老人说。
"You see, when I came to this country it was in a balloon.
“我告诉过你的,我来到这个国土上,是坐在一个轻气球里面的。
You also came through the air, being carried by a cyclone.
你也是被一阵旋风卷着,从空中飘来的。
So I believe the best way to get across the desert will be through the air.
所以我相信从空中走,一定能越过沙漠。
Now, it is quite beyond my powers to make a cyclone;
现在要制造一阵旋风,这我们都做不到;
and I've been thinking the matter over, and I believe I can make a balloon."
但是我认真地想过这件事情了,我相信我能够做一个轻气球。”
"How?" asked Dorothy.
多萝茜问:“做轻气球?”
"A balloon," said Oz, "is made of silk, which is coated with glue to keep the gas in it.
“不错,”奥芝说,“是用绸来做的,涂上了胶,使它里面储藏着煤气。
I have plenty of silk in the Palace, so it will be no trouble to make the balloon.
在我的宫殿里,有许多的绸,所以做一个轻气球,不费什么事儿的。
But in all this country there is no gas to fill the balloon with, to make it float."
但是在我这整个国家里,没有煤气,来装进轻气球里去,使它飞起来。”
"If it won't float," remarked Dorothy, "it will be of no use to us."
“如果没有煤气,”多萝茜注意地说,“那轻气球对我就没有用处了。”
"True," answered Oz. "But there is another way to make it float, which is to fill it with hot air.
“确实是这样,”奥芝回答。“但是还有一个办法让它升起来,可以用热气灌满在里面。
Hot air isn't as good as gas, for if the air should get cold the balloon would come down in the desert, and we should be lost."
但是热气不如煤气那般安全,因为假如碰到了寒冷,那轻气球便会坠落在沙漠里,我们将迷失在沙漠里了。”
"We!" exclaimed the girl. "Are you going with me?"
“我们!”女孩子高声喊出来;“你要跟我一起走!”
"Yes, of course," replied Oz. "I am tired of being such a humbug.
“是的,当然,”奥芝回答说。“我不愿意再做一个骗子了。
If I should go out of this Palace my people would soon discover I am not a Wizard,
如果我走出这个宫殿,我的老百姓立刻会发现事实的真相,
and then they would be vexed with me for having deceived them.
于是他们让我不得安宁,因为我欺骗了他们。
So I have to stay shut up in these rooms all day, and it gets tiresome.
因此我不得不整天地关在这些房间里,我已经厌倦。
I'd much rather go back to Kansas with you and be in a circus again."
我决定和你一起回去,宁愿再回到马戏班里。”
"I shall be glad to have your company," said Dorothy.
“我很高兴有你这样的一个同伴,”多萝茜说。
"Thank you," he answered. "Now, if you will help me sew the silk together, we will begin to work on our balloon."
“谢谢你,”他回答说。“现在,如果你能帮我先把绸缝起来,我们就可以开始做我们的气球了。”