"I think you are a very bad man," said Dorothy.
多萝茜说:“我想你是一个很坏的骗子。”
"Oh, no, my dear; I'm really a very good man, but I'm a very bad Wizard, I must admit."
“啊,不是的,我的亲爱的;我必须承认我真正的是一个好人;但是我是一个笨拙的魔术师。”
"Can't you give me brains?" asked the Scarecrow.
“你可以给我脑子吗?”稻草人问。
"You don't need them. You are learning something every day.
“你用不着它。你每天在学习一些东西。
A baby has brains, but it doesn't know much.
一个初生的婴儿就有脑子,但是他不能立刻就知道许多东西。
Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge,
经验是带来知识的唯一有价值的,
and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get."
你在这世界上生活愈长久,你学到的东西就越多。”
"That may all be true," said the Scarecrow, "but I shall be very unhappy unless you give me brains."
“也许我可以相信,”稻草人说,“但是没有脑子我不会快乐,除非你给我一个脑子。”
The false Wizard looked at him carefully.
这个假魔术师默默地注视着他。
"Well," he said with a sigh, "I'm not much of a magician, as I said;
“好吧,”他叹着一口气说道,“我虽然不是像我夸口的是一个干练的魔术家;
but if you will come to me tomorrow morning, I will stuff your head with brains.
假如明天早晨你到我这里来,我将用脑子塞进在你的脑壳里。
I cannot tell you how to use them, however; you must find that out for yourself."
但是我不能够告诉你怎样地去运用脑子;你必须自己学会运用它。”
"Oh, thank you--thank you!" cried the Scarecrow. "I'll find a way to use them, never fear!"
“啊,谢谢你,谢谢你!”稻草人喊道。“不必担心,我会想出一个办法,来运用脑子!”
"But how about my courage?" asked the Lion anxiously.
“你会给我胆量吗?”狮子烦躁地问他。
"You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz.
“我相信你很有胆量,”奥芝回答说。
"All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger.
“你所需要的是自信。在你遇见危险的时候,每一种生物都会害怕的。
The True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty."
真正的胆量,是不要胆怯,勇敢面对着危险,那种胆量,你是并不缺少的。”
"Perhaps I have, but I'm scared just the same," said the Lion.
“可能有吧,可我还是很害怕,”狮子说。
"I shall really be very unhappy unless you give me the sort of courage that makes one forget he is afraid."
“除非你让我忘记自己是个胆小鬼,否则,我仍旧是十分不快乐的。”
"Very well, I will give you that sort of courage tomorrow," replied Oz.
奥芝回答说:“很好,明天我可以给你那种胆量。”
"How about my heart?" asked the Tin Woodman.
“关于我的心怎么样?”铁皮人问。
"Why, as for that," answered Oz, "I think you are wrong to want a heart.
“啊,天哪,”奥芝回答道,“你想要一颗心的想法是错误的。
It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart."
那东西给很多人带来麻烦。只要你明白这一点,那么,没有一颗心正是你的幸福。”
"That must be a matter of opinion," said the Tin Woodman.
“我们的想法不同,”铁皮人说。
"For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart."
“在我看来,如果你给我一颗心,我宁愿忍受着世间的烦恼,我毫无怨言。”
"Very well," answered Oz meekly.
“那样的话,”奥芝温和而谦逊地说到。
"Come to me tomorrow and you shall have a heart.
“明天到我这里来,我给你一颗心。
I have played Wizard for so many years that I may as well continue the part a little longer."
我多年来一直玩着魔术,那我可以同样地再来表演一次。”
"And now," said Dorothy, "how am I to get back to Kansas?"
“那么,”多萝茜说,“你怎么把我送回堪萨斯州去?”
"We shall have to think about that," replied the little man.
“恐怕我们要商量一下,”矮小的老头儿回答说。
"Give me two or three days to consider the matter and I'll try to find a way to carry you over the desert.
“你给我两天或者更长的时间,来仔细地考虑这件事情,我会想出一个办法来,带着你离开这里。
In the meantime you shall all be treated as my guests, and while you live in the Palace my people will wait upon you and obey your slightest wish.
在这期间,你们将像我的宾客一样受到很好招待,当你们尽管住在我的宫殿里,我的人民将要侍候你们,并且听从你们的最微细的差使。
There is only one thing I ask in return for my help--such As It Is.
只有一件事情,我要请求你们答应我,作为对我工作的酬谢——就是这样。
You must keep my secret and tell no one I am a humbug."
你们必须信守我的秘密,不能让任何人知道,我是一个骗子。”
They agreed to say nothing of what they had learned, and went back to their rooms in high spirits.
他们都赞成,对这一切都保密,高高兴兴地回到他们的房间去。
Even Dorothy had hope that "The Great and Terrible Humbug," as she called him, would find a way to send her back to Kansas,
即使多萝茜也在期盼那被她辱骂过的“伟大的可怕的骗子”的奥芝,想出一个办法来,送她回到堪萨斯州去,
and if he did she was willing to forgive him everything.
假如他能办到,无论什么事她都宽恕了他。