Right off he did some work for a client of mine up to Albany.
他一出马就跑到奥尔巴尼去给我的一个主顾办了一件事。
We were so thick like that in everything--" He held up two bulbous fingers "--always together."
我们在任何事情上都那么亲密——”他举起两根球根状的手指,“——总是在一起。”
I wondered if this partnership had included the World's Series transaction in 1919.
我想知道这种搭档是否也包括1919年世界棒球联赛那笔交易在内。
"Now he's dead," I said after a moment.
“现在他死了,”过了一会儿我说。
"You were his closest friend, so I know you'll want to come to his funeral this afternoon."
“你是他最亲密的朋友,所以我知道你今天下午会想来参加他的葬礼。”
"I'd like to come."
“我愿意去。”
"Well, come then."
“那么,来吧。”
The hair in his nostrils quivered slightly and as he shook his head His eyes filled with tears.
他鼻孔里的毛发微微颤动着,当他摇着头时,眼里充满了泪水。
"I can't do it--I can't get mixed up in it," he said.
“我不能来——我不能卷入其中,”他说。
"There's nothing to get mixed up in. It's all over now."
“没有什么可掺和进去的。现在一切都结束了。”
"When a man gets killed I never like to get mixed up in it in any way. I keep out.
“当一个人被杀的时候,我决不愿意以任何方式卷入其中。我不介入。
When I was a young man it was different--if a friend of mine died, no matter how, I stuck with them to the end.
当我还是个年轻人的时候,情况就不一样了——如果我的一个朋友死了,不管他是怎么死的,我都会和他坚持到最后。
You may think that's sentimental but I mean it--to the bitter end."
你也许会认为这是感情用事,但我一直坚持到最后。”
I saw that for some reason of his own he was determined not to come, so I stood up.
我看出于某种原因,他决定不来了,于是我站了起来。
"Are you a college man?" he inquired suddenly.
“你是大学生吗?”他突然问道。
For a moment I thought he was going to suggest a "gonnegtion" but he only nodded and shook my hand.
有那么一会儿,我以为他要提议搞点什么“关系”,但他只是点点头,握了握我的手。
"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead," he suggested.
“让我们学会在一个人活着的时候表达我们的友谊,而不是在他死后,”他建议。
"After that my own rule is to let everything alone."
“从那以后,我自己的原则就是什么都不做。”
When I left his office the sky had turned dark and I got back to West Egg in a drizzle.
我离开他的办公室时,天已经黑了,我在细雨中回到西卵。
After changing my clothes I went next door and found Mr. Gatz walking up and down excitedly in the hall.
换了衣服后,我去了隔壁,发现盖兹先生在大厅里兴奋地走来走去。
His pride in his son and in his son's possessions was continually increasing and now he had something to show me.
他对儿子和儿子财产的自豪感与日俱增,现在他有东西要给我看。
"Jimmy sent me this picture." He took out his wallet with trembling fingers. "Look there."
“杰米寄给我这张照片。”他用颤抖的手指取出钱包。“看。”
It was a photograph of the house, cracked in the corners and dirty with many hands.
这是一张房子的照片,四角有裂缝,也被许多手摸脏了。
He pointed out every detail to me eagerly.
他急切地向我指出每一个细节。
"Look there!" and then sought admiration from my eyes.
“瞧那儿!”然后从我的眼睛里寻求赞赏。
He had shown it so often that I think it was more real to him now than the house itself.
他曾多次展示过这张照片,所以我想,现在对他来说,这张照片比房子本身更真实。