He'd of helped build up the country."
他帮助建立了这个国家。”
"That's true," I said, uncomfortably.
“那倒是,”我不安地说。
He fumbled at the embroidered coverlet, trying to take it from the bed, and lay down stiffly--was instantly asleep.
他摸索着绣花被,想把它从床上拿下来,僵硬地躺下——立刻睡着了。
That night an obviously frightened person called up and demanded to know who I was before he would give his name.
那天晚上,一个明显受到惊吓的人打电话来,要求在说出他的名字之前知道我是谁。
"This is Mr. Carraway," I said.
“我是卡罗威先生,”我说。
"Oh--" He sounded relieved. "This is Klipspringer."
“哦——”他听起来松了口气。“我是克利普斯普林格。”
I was relieved too for that seemed to promise another friend at Gatsby's grave.
我也松了一口气,因为这似乎预示着盖茨比的墓前会多一个朋友。
I didn't want it to be in the papers and draw a sightseeing crowd
我不愿意登报,引来一大堆看热闹的人
so I'd been calling up a few people myself. They were hard to find.
我自己也给几个人打过电话。他们很难找到。
"The funeral's tomorrow," I said.
“明天举行葬礼,”我说。
"Three o'clock, here at the house. I wish you'd tell anybody who'd be interested."
“三点钟,就在这儿。我希望你能告诉任何对此感兴趣的人。”
"Oh, I will," he broke out hastily. "Of course I'm not likely to see anybody, but if I do."
“噢,我会的,”他急忙嚷道。“当然,我不太可能见到任何人,但如果我见到的话。”
His tone made me suspicious.
他的语气使我起了疑心。
"Of course you'll be there yourself."
“当然你自己是要来的。”
"Well, I'll certainly try. What I called up about is----"
“好吧,我一定试试。我打电话来是为了——”
"Wait a minute," I interrupted. "How about saying you'll come?"
“等一下,”我打断他的话。“你说你一定来怎样?”
"Well, the fact is--the truth of the matter is that I'm staying with some people up here in Greenwich and they rather expect me to be with them tomorrow.
“唔,事实是——事情的真相是,我住在格林威治这儿的朋友家里,他们希望我明天能和他们在一起。
In fact there's a sort of picnic or something. Of course I'll do my very best to get away."
事实上有个野餐之类的活动。我当然会尽我最大的努力逃跑。”
I ejaculated an unrestrained "Huh!" and he must have heard me for he went on nervously:
我脱口而出一声无拘无束的“哼!”他一定听见了,因为他紧张地继续说:
"What I called up about was a pair of shoes I left there.
“我打电话的原因是为了我留在那里的一双鞋。
I wonder if it'd be too much trouble to have the butler send them on.
不知道能不能麻烦你让男管家给我送来。
You see they're tennis shoes and I'm sort of helpless without them.
你看,这是网球鞋,没有它们我有点无助。
My address is care of B. F.----"
我的地址是B.F.——”
I didn't hear the rest of the name because I hung up the receiver.
我没有听到名字的其余部分,因为我挂上了听筒。
After that I felt a certain shame for Gatsby--one gentleman to whom I telephoned implied that he had got what he deserved.
在那之后,我为盖茨比感到羞愧——还有一个我打电话去找的人竟然表示他是死有应得的。
However, that was my fault, for he was one of those who used to sneer most bitterly at Gatsby on the courage of Gatsby's liquor
然而,这是我的错,因为他是那种喝了盖茨比的酒就会对盖茨比冷嘲热讽的人
and I should have known better than to call him.
我早该知道不该打电话给他。
The morning of the funeral I went up to New York to see Meyer Wolfshiem;
葬礼的那天早晨,我去纽约看望迈耶·沃尔夫山姆。
I couldn't seem to reach him any other way.
我似乎无法通过其他任何方式联系到他。
The door that I pushed open on the advice of an elevator boy was marked "The Swastika Holding Company" and at first there didn't seem to be any one inside.
我听从了一个开电梯的男孩的建议,推开了一扇门,门上写着“万字符控股公司”,可是起先里面没有人。