After the broth came a salad of apples, nuts, and raisins.
肉汤之后上了苹果、坚果和葡萄干拌的沙拉。
At any other time, it might have made a tasty dish, but tonight all the food was flavored with fear.
其他任何时候,这都是一道美味,但在今晚,所有食物都添加了名叫恐惧的调料。
Sansa was not the only one in the hall without an appetite.
厅里没胃口的远不止珊莎一人。
Lord Gyles was coughing more than he was eating, Lollys Stokeworth sat hunched and shivering,
盖尔斯伯爵咳嗽的时间比吃的时间多,洛丽丝·史铎克渥斯驼背坐着发抖,
and the young bride of one of Ser Lancel’s knights began to weep uncontrollably.
蓝赛尔爵士手下一名骑士的新娘不可遏抑地哭泣起来。
The queen commanded Maester Frenken to put her to bed with a cup of dreamwine.
太后命法兰肯学士给她一杯安眠酒,安排她上床睡觉。
“Tears,” she said scornfully to Sansa as the woman was led from the hall.
“眼泪,”女子被带离大厅后,她不屑地对珊莎说,
“The woman’s weapon, my lady mother used to call them.
“正如我母亲大人常说的那样,是女人的武器。
The man’s weapon is a sword.
刀剑则属于男人。
And that tells us all you need to know, doesn’t it?”
这说明了一切,不是吗?”
“Men must be very brave, though,” said Sansa.
“但男人必须勇敢,”珊莎道,
“To ride out and face swords and axes, everyone trying to kill you …”
“要骑马出去面对刀斧,每个人都来杀你……”
“Jaime told me once that he only feels truly alive in battle and in bed.”
“詹姆曾对我说,只有在战场和床上,他才能感觉自己的生命。”
She lifted her cup and took a long swallow.
她举起酒杯,喝下一大口,
Her salad was untouched.
面前的沙拉一点没碰。
“I would sooner face any number of swords than sit helpless like this, pretending to enjoy the company of this flock of frightened hens.”
“我宁可面对亿万刀剑,也胜过无助地坐在这里,假装乐意跟这群受惊的母鸡为伴。”
“You asked them here, Your Grace.”
“陛下,是您邀请她们来的。”
“Certain things are expected of a queen.
“这是当然,身为太后,就得做这种事。
They will be expected of you should you ever wed Joffrey.
将来,你若跟乔佛里结婚,迟早也会明白这个道理。
Best learn.”
趁现在好好学一学吧。”
The queen studied the wives, daughters, and mothers who filled the benches.
太后打量坐满长凳的妻子、女儿和母亲们。
“Of themselves the hens are nothing, but their cocks are important for one reason or another, and some may survive this battle.
“这些母鸡本身一钱不值,但和她们同群的公鸡是当下的关键,其中有些还会从战斗中生还,
So it behooves me to give their women my protection.
所以我必须为他们的女人提供保护。
If my wretched dwarf of a brother should somehow manage to prevail,
若我那可恶的侏儒弟弟侥幸成功,
they will return to their husbands and fathers full of tales about how brave I was,
她们就会回到丈夫和父亲身边,宣传各种故事,说我如何勇敢,
how my courage inspired them and lifted their spirits, how I never doubted our victory even for a moment.”
如何坚强,如何激励她们的士气。说我如何坚定不移,从无片刻疑虑。”
“And if the castle should fall?”
“要城堡陷落吗?”
“You’d like that, wouldn’t you?”
“你就希望那样,对不对?”
Cersei did not wait for a denial.
瑟曦不等她否认,续道,
“If I’m not betrayed by my own guards, I may be able to hold here for a time.
“如果不被卫兵出卖,我或能在此坚守一时,
Then I can go to the walls and offer to yield to Lord Stannis in person.
等待史坦尼斯公爵到来,以登城向他请降,
That will spare us the worst.
避免最糟的情形。
But if Maegor’s Holdfast should fall before Stannis can come up, why then, most of my guests are in for a bit of rape, I’d say.
但若他抵达之前,梅葛楼就告陷落,那样的话,我敢说在座诸位都得忍受一点强暴。
And you should never rule out mutilation, torture, and murder at times like these.”
非常时刻,虐待、奸淫和拷打是谁也管不了的。”