“I’m so, so sorry,” Chelsea’s mother said.
“非常非常抱歉是这样的结果,”切尔西的母亲说。
Mom was crying.
妈妈哭了。
I put a paw on her leg to comfort her.
我把一只爪子放在她的腿上安慰她。
“Good dog, Bailey,” Mom said.
“贝利乖,”妈妈说。
Duchess stuck her idiot face right in front of me, the sock loosely dangling from her jaws.
公爵夫人傻乎乎地把脸凑到我面前,她的爪子里拿着一只袜子,松松垮垮地晃来晃去。
I gave her a low growl and she backed away, looking bewildered.
我低低地吼了她一声,她就往后退,一脸迷惑。
“Be nice, please, guys,” Chelsea’s mother said.
切尔西的母亲说:“孩子们,闹着玩的时候要友好一点。”
A little while later Chelsea’s mother gave pie to Mom but not to the dogs.
过了一会儿,切尔西的妈妈把派给了妈妈,但没有给我和切尔西。
Duchess lay on her back and held the sock with her paws above her mouth, just like I used to do with Coco in the Yard, what seemed like forever ago.
公爵夫人仰面躺着,爪子里拿着袜子,放在嘴上方玩弄着。这好像我以前在院子里对可可会做的那样,但这似乎已经是很久以前的事了。
Some people came and I sat with Mom in the living room and blinked at the bright flashes, like lightning with no sound.
一些人来了,我和妈妈坐在客厅里,对着明亮的闪光眨着眼睛,就像没有声音的闪电。
Then we went over to the house, which was now covered in plastic sheeting that flapped in the wind, and some more flashes went off.
然后我们回了家,房子被塑料布覆盖着,塑料布在风中飘动,又出现了更多的闪光。
A week later, Mom gave me a car ride and we moved into the “apartment.”
一周后,妈妈开车送我,我们搬进了“公寓”。
This was a small house built into a big building full of houses, and there were lots of dogs everywhere.
这是一个建在满是房子的大建筑里的小房子,到处都是狗子。
Most of them were pretty little, but in the afternoons Mom would take me over to see them in a big cement yard.
其中很多狗子都很小,但在下午,妈妈会带我去一个大水泥院子里看他们。
She would sit on a bench and talk to people while I ran around, making friends and marking territory.
她会坐在长椅上和别人聊天,而我则四处跑,交朋友,做标记。
I didn’t like the apartment, and neither did Dad.
我不喜欢那套公寓,爸爸也不喜欢。
He yelled at Mom a lot more there than at the house.
他对妈妈大吼大叫的次数比对家里多。
The place was small, and, even worse, we were there without the boy.
那个地方很小,更糟糕的是,伊森不在。
Both Dad and Mom would often smell like Ethan, but he wasn’t living with us anymore, and my heart ached.
爸爸和妈妈身上都有伊森的味道,但他已经不住在家里了,我的心很痛。
At night I would pace the house, compelled to wander around restlessly, until Dad would yell at me to lie down.
晚上,我在屋里踱来踱去,很不安宁,直到爸爸大喊让我躺下,我才会停下来。
Dinner, the high point of my day, was not as interesting when Mom served it to me—
晚餐原本是我一天中最快乐的时光,但当妈妈端上晚餐给我时,我却不再像以前那样觉得有趣。
I just didn’t feel hungry, and sometimes didn’t finish it.
我根本不觉得饿,有时甚至还会剩。
Where was my boy?
伊森现在在哪里呢?