“What in the world was that boy doing? Why would he set your house on fire? You could all have been killed.”
“那个男孩到底在干什么?他为什么要放火烧你们的房子?这场火灾可能会要了你们的命。”
“I don’t know. Todd and Ethan used to be friends.”
“我不知道。托德和伊森曾经是朋友。”
I turned at Ethan’s name, and Duchess used the moment to yank the sock out of my mouth.
听到伊森的名字,我转过身,公爵夫人利用这个机会把袜子从我嘴里拽了出来。
“Is it for sure Todd? I thought the police said the blood work would take longer.”
“血液检测结果已经证实是托德了吗?”我记得警察说验血要花更长的时间来着。”
“He confessed when they took him in for questioning,” Mom said.
“警察审问他时,他坦白了,”妈妈说。
“Did he explain why he did it?” Duchess was shoving the sock at me, daring me to take it.
“他有解释他为什么这么做吗?”“公爵夫人把短袜向我递过来,想看我敢不敢叼住。
I pointedly looked away.
我故意把目光移开。
“He said he didn’t know why he did it.”
“他说他不知道自己为什么这么做。”
“Well, for heaven’s sake. You know, I always did think that boy was strange.
“啊,看在上帝的份上。其实我一直觉得那孩子怪怪的。
Remember when he pushed Chelsea into the bushes for no reason? My husband had a fit.
还记得他无缘无故把切尔西推倒在灌木丛的事儿吗?我丈夫当时很生气。
He went down and talked to Todd’s father and I thought the two of them were going to get into a fight.”
他下去和托德的父亲谈了谈,我以为他们俩要打架了。”
“No, I never heard that. He pushed her?”
“不,我从来没听说过。他推了她?”
“And Sudy Hurst says she caught him trying to see in her bedroom window.”
“苏迪·赫斯特说她撞见他试图趴在她卧室的窗口往里看。”
“I thought she wasn’t sure who it was.”
“我还以为她一直都不确定是谁呢。”
“Well, now she says it was Todd.”
“反正现在她说是托德。”
With a sudden lunge, I grabbed the sock.
我猛地一扑,叼住了袜子。
Duchess dug her feet in and growled.
公爵夫人不愿意地叫着。
I pulled her around the room, but she didn’t let go.
我拉着她在房间里转了一圈,但她始终没有松手。
“Bailey’s a hero, now. Todd’s leg took eight stitches.” At the mention of my name, both Duchess and I froze.
“贝利是个英雄。托德的腿缝了八针。“一听到我的名字,公爵夫人和我都僵住了。
Dog biscuits, maybe? The sock went slack between us.
或许可以奖励它一些狗饼干?我们俩不再争抢那只袜子了。
“They want his picture for the paper,” Mom said.
“他们想把它的照片登在报纸上,”妈妈说。
“Good thing I gave Bailey a bath,” Chelsea’s mom replied.
“还好我给贝利洗了个澡,”切尔西的妈妈回答说。
What? Another bath? I’d just had a bath!
什么?又要洗澡吗?我刚洗过澡!
I spat out the sock, Duchess shaking it joyously, prancing around the room in victory.
我把袜子吐了出来,公爵夫人高兴地摇晃着袜子,取得了胜利一般地在房间里跳来跳去。
“How is Ethan?” Mom put her coffee cup down.
“伊森如何?妈妈放下她的咖啡杯。
The boy’s name and the flash of worry and grief coming off of her caused me to go over to her and put my head in her lap.
她提到了伊森的名字,而且她身上还散发出了忧虑和悲伤,我不由得走到她身边,把头靠在她的膝上。
She reached down and petted my head.
她俯下身抚摸着我的头。
“They had to put a pin in his leg, and he’ll have . . . scarring.” Mom gestured toward her face and then pressed her hands to her eyes.
“他们必须在他的腿上钉一根钢钉,他会留下……疤痕。妈妈的手在脸边比划着,然后用手捂着眼睛。