Chapter Fifteen
第十五章
I had never before felt such fear as what was pouring off of Mom and Dad as they shouted at the boy’s window.
当爸爸妈妈在伊森的窗边吼叫时,他们身上流露出的情绪让我感到前所未有的恐惧。
Mom was sobbing and Dad’s voice was tight, and when I began barking again, frantically, they made no move to tell me to be quiet.
妈妈在抽泣,爸爸的声音很严肃,我又开始狂吠了,但这一次,他们没有做任何事情来让我安静下来。
My ears picked up the thin wail of a siren, but mostly I could only hear my barking,
我的耳朵听到了微弱的警笛声,但我主要还是只能听到我自己的叫声,
Mom and Dad calling Ethan’s name, and, over all of it, the roar of the fire,
爸爸妈妈叫着伊森的名字,但火势淹没了他俩的声音
so loud I could feel it as a vibration through my whole body.
火势声音之大,让我能感觉到我的整个身体都在随它震动。
The bushes in front of us were still burning, clouds of steam rising as the snow melted with a sizzle.
我们前面的灌木丛还在燃烧,雪嘶嘶地融化着,水蒸气在冉冉上升。
“Ethan! Please!” Dad shouted, his voice cracking.
“伊森!你一定不要有事啊!”爸爸声音沙哑地喊道。
Just then, something burst through Ethan’s window, showering glass into the snow.
就在这时,什么东西把伊森的窗户撞破了,玻璃碎在了雪地上。
It was the flip! Frantically I picked it up, to show Ethan that yes, I had it.
是筋斗云!我疯一般地把筋斗云捡了起来,我想告诉伊森,你看,我接住了。
His head appeared in the hole the flip had made, black smoke framing his face.
筋斗云砸破的窗口里探出了他的头,他的脸黑得像煤球。
“Mom!” he yelled, coughing.
“妈妈!”他边喊边咳嗽。
“You’ve got to get out of there, Ethan!” Dad roared.
“快离开那里,伊森!”“爸爸喊道。
“I can’t open the window, it’s stuck!”
“我打不开窗户,窗子卡住了!”
“Just jump!” Dad responded. “You’ve got to jump, honey!” Mom shouted at him.
“那就直接跳下来!”爸爸答道。“现在只能跳了,宝贝!”妈妈对伊森喊道。
The boy’s head disappeared back inside.
男孩的头又消失在了里面。
“The smoke is going to kill him; what’s he doing?” Dad said.
“这烟雾会要人命的;他还在里面做什么呢?”爸爸说道。
“Ethan!” Mom screamed.
“伊森!“妈妈尖叫起来。
The boy’s desk chair came through the window, smashing it, and, a second later, the boy plunged out.
伊森的办公椅从窗户里飞了出来,把窗户砸得粉碎。一秒钟后,伊森从椅子砸出的洞里跳了出来。
He appeared to get hung up on the remaining bits of wood and glass, though, so that instead of sailing out over the flaming bushes he dropped directly into them.
不过,他似乎被残留的木头和玻璃碎片刮了一下,所以他没有从燃烧着的灌木丛上飞过去,而是直接掉进了灌木丛。
“Ethan!” Mom shrieked. I barked frantically, the flip forgotten.
“伊森!“妈妈尖叫起来。我疯狂地咆哮着,完全忘记了筋斗云。
Dad reached into the fire and grabbed Ethan and pulled him out into the snow, rolling him over and over.
爸爸摸索着跑到火中,抓住伊森,把他拉到雪里,带他滚了好几遍。
“Oh God, oh God,” Mom was sobbing.
“天哪,天哪。”妈妈在抽泣。