"Sure, Sweetie, I'll see you in a little while. Love you!"
“当然,亲爱的,一会儿见。爱你!”
Oh, hi, John. These kids drive me crazy sometimes.
哦,嗨,约翰。这些孩子有时会让我抓狂。
Why is that, Dr. Jill?
为什么,吉尔博士?
My kids say things like, "Me and my friends are coming over tonight."
我的孩子们说,“我和我的朋友们今晚要过来。”
You'd never know their mother is a grammar teacher!
你绝不会知道他们的妈妈是一名语法老师!
So, instead of following the "old grammar book..."
所以,与其遵循“旧语法书……”
...which tells us to say, "My friends and I are coming over."
……这告诉我们要说,“我的朋友们和我要过来。”
Right! "I" is the subject pronoun, and in a compound subject, we put the other person first to be polite.
没错!“I”是主格,在复合主语中,出于礼貌,我们把其他人放在前面。
Exactly! So, putting "me" first sounds impolite to me.
一点儿没错!所以,在我看来,把“me”放在前面听起来很不礼貌。
And if you don't have a compound subject, you have to use "I", the subject pronoun.
如果你没有复合主语,你就必须使用主格“I”。
That is, you cannot say, "Me am coming over tonight."
也就是说,你不能说,“Me am coming over tonight.(我今晚要过来。)”
Thank you, John. So, why do they say: "Me and my friends?"
谢谢你,约翰。那么,为什么他们会说:“Me and my friends?(我和我的朋友们)”
I read that language researchers found that "me and someone" is about three times more common than "someone and me."
我曾看到过语言研究人员发现“me and someone”的使用频率大约是“someone and me”的三倍。
So, you're saying, just because a lot of people are saying it, it's okay?
你的意思是,就因为很多人都这么说,就没关系了吗?
Mm-hum. That's "descriptive grammar."
嗯哼。这就是“描述性语法”。
We just tell how people use the language.
我们只是告诉人们如何使用语言。
Still, you can't go wrong if you use "someone and I" for compound subjects.
不过,如果你把“someone and I”用作复合主语,也不错。
But, if you break the rule, people will still understand what you are saying.
但是,如果你违反了规则,人们仍然会明白你在说什么。
Well, it's time for me and Dr. Jill to go!
我和吉尔博士该走了!
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。