They all gathered round him in affright, so alarming was his agitation;
他们全都焦急不安地围拢来,因为彼得的激动惹得大伙惊慌起来;
and with a fine candour he told them what he had hitherto concealed.
于是,彼得一五一十地向他们说出了他一直深藏在心里的话。
"Long ago," he said," I thought like you that my mother would always keep the window open for me,
“很久以前,”彼得说,“我也和你们一样,相信我的母亲会永远开着窗子等我;
so I stayed away for moons and moons and moons, and then flew back;
所以,我在外面呆了一个月又一个月才飞回去;
but the window was barred, for mother had forgotten all about me, and there was another little boy sleeping in my bed."
可是,窗子已经上了栓,因为母亲已经把我全忘了,另有一个小男孩睡在了我的床上。”
I am not sure that this was true, but Peter thought it was true;and it scared them.
我不确定这是真的,彼得认为这是真的;这可把他们吓坏了。
"Are you sure mothers are like that?"
“你能肯定母亲们就是这样吗?”
"Yes."
“是的。”
So this was the truth about mothers. The toads!
这么说,母亲们原来是这样,真卑鄙!
Still it is best to be careful; and no one knows so quickly as a child when he should give in.
不过,还是小心些好;什么时候应该放弃自己的信念,只有小孩最清楚。
"Wendy, let us go home," cried Michael and John together.
“温迪,我们回家吧。”约翰和迈克尔一齐喊道。
"Yes," she said, clutching them.
“好吧。”温迪搂着他们回答。
"Not to-night?" asked the lost boys bewildered.
“该不会是今晚吧?”遗失的孩子们迷惑地问。
They knew in what they called their hearts that one can get on quite well without a mother, and that it is only the mothers who think you can't.
在他们心里,他们知道没有母亲也可以过得满好,只有母亲们才认为,没有她们孩子们就没法过。
"At once," Wendy replied resolutely, for the horrible thought had come to her:"Perhaps mother is in half mourning by this time."
“马上就走。”温迪果断地说。因为她忽然想到一个可怕的念头:“说不定母亲这时已经在哀悼他们了。”
This dread made her forgetful of what must be Peter's feelings,
这种恐惧使她忘记了彼得的心情,
and she said to him rather sharply, "Peter, will you make the necessary arrangements?"
她猛地对彼得说:“彼得,请你做必要的准备,好吗?”
"If you wish it," he replied, as coolly as if she had asked him to pass the nuts.
“遵命。”彼得冷冷地回答,那神态就像温迪请他递个坚果似的。
Not so much as a sorry-to-lose-you between them! If she did not mind the parting, he was going to show her, was Peter, that neither did he.
两人之间连一句惜别的话也没说。要是温迪不在乎分手,那么,他也要让她瞧瞧,他彼得也不在乎。