Catelyn could sense her discomfort.
凯特琳觉察到她的窘迫。
“I only thought you might enjoy happier company than mine.”
“我只是觉得,你该找个比我好的伴儿。”
“I’m well content.”
“就这样挺好。”
The girl used the bread to sop up some of the bacon grease the trout had been fried in.
她拿面包吸吸炸鳟鱼上的培根油。
“There was another bird this morning.”
“今早上又来了只鸟。”
Catelyn did not know why she said it.
凯特琳不知自己为何开口。
“The maester woke me at once.
“学士立刻叫醒我。
That was dutiful, but not kind.
这是他的责任,却不体贴。
Not kind at all.”
一点也不体贴。”
She had not meant to tell Brienne.
此事她不想告诉布蕾妮,
No one knew but her and Maester Vyman, and she had meant to keep it that way until … until …
此事只有她和韦曼学士知道,她打算保守秘密直到……直到……
Until what?
直到何时啊?
Foolish woman, will holding it secret in your heart make it any less true?
蠢女人,你以为把秘密留在心中,它就不再真实?
If you never tell, never speak of it, will it become only a dream, less than a dream, a nightmare half-remembered?
你以为不提它,不告诉别人,它就只是一场梦,甚或连梦都不是,只是半梦半醒间的一场惊吓?
Oh, if only the gods would be so good.
噢,要真能那样,诸神可太仁慈了。
“Is it news of King’s Landing?” asked Brienne.
“关于君临的消息吗?”布蕾妮问。
“Would that it was.
“是就好了。
The bird came from Castle Cerwyn, from Ser Rodrik, my castellan.”
鸟儿从赛文城飞来,由我的代理城主、罗德利克爵士亲手放出。”
Dark wings, dark words.
黑色的翅膀,黑色的消息。
“He has gathered what power he could and is marching on Winterfell, to take the castle back.”
“他召集了能召集的一切力量,正向临冬城进军,将把城堡夺回来。”
How unimportant all that sounded now.
这一切是多么地无关紧要啊。
“But he said … he wrote … he told me, he …”
“但他说……他写道……他告诉我,他……”
“My lady, what is it?
“夫人,他说什么?
Is it some news of your sons?”
有您儿子们的消息吗?”
Such a simple question that was; would that the answer could be as simple.
如此简单的问题,如此简单的答案。
When Catelyn tried to speak, the words caught in her throat.
凯特琳试图作答,言语却哽在喉咙。
“I have no sons but Robb.”
“除了罗柏,我没有儿子了。”
She managed those terrible words without a sob, and for that much she was glad.
她竭力挤出这几个可怕的字眼,竟然没哭,不禁暗自庆幸。
Brienne looked at her with horror. “My lady?”
布蕾妮惊骇地瞪着她。“夫人?”
“Bran and Rickon tried to escape, but were taken at a mill on the Acorn Water.
“布兰和瑞肯企图逃跑,结果在橡树河边一座磨坊被抓。
Theon Greyjoy has mounted their heads on the walls of Winterfell.
席恩·葛雷乔伊把他俩的头挂在临冬城城墙上。
Theon Greyjoy, who ate at my table since he was a boy of ten.”
席恩·葛雷乔伊!这个打十岁起便和我家同桌吃饭的人!”
I have said it, gods forgive me.
我把话说出来了,诸神饶恕我,
I have said it and made it true.
我说出来了,如今它变成了真实。