Chapter 6 Lost and found
第六章 失而复得
The next morning, the first visitor to the house next door was Mr Carmichael, back from Russia.
第二天早晨,第一个来到隔壁房子里的是卡迈克尔先生,他刚从俄国回来。
But when he came into the house, his face was sad. Mr Carrisford knew the answer at once.
可他进屋时表情非常难过。卡里斯福特先生立刻就知道了答案。
'You didn't find her,' he said.
“你没有找到她是不是?”他说。
'I found her,' Mr Carmichael said. 'But it was the wrong girl. Her name is Emily Carew, and she's much younger than Ralph Crewe's daughter. I'm very sorry.'
“找到了,”卡迈克尔先生说道,“不过她不是我们要找的人。那个女孩儿叫埃米莉·卡鲁,比拉尔夫·克鲁的女儿小得多。非常抱歉。”
'We must begin again,' said Mr Carrisford unhappily. 'But where? It's two years now. Two years!'
“我们得重新开始找,”卡里斯福特先生沮丧地说,“可去哪儿找呢?都两年了,两年了呀!”
'Well, she isn't at a school in Paris. We know that,' Mr Carmichael said. 'Let's look at the schools in England now.'
“嗯,我们知道,她没有在巴黎的学校读书。”卡迈克尔先生说,“我们现在开始搜寻英国的学校吧。”
'Yes,' said Mr Carrisford. 'Yes, we can begin in London. There's a school next door, Carmichael.'
“是的,”卡里斯福特先生说,“是的,我们可以先从伦敦找起。隔壁就是一所学校,卡迈克尔。”
Perhaps it was the magic again, but at that moment Ram Dass came .quietly into the room.
或许这又是奇迹,可就在那时拉姆·达斯静静地走进了屋子。
'The little servant-girl from the attic is here,' he said to Mr Carrisford. 'With the monkey. He ran away again last night to her room. Would you like to see her?'
“住在阁楼里的小女佣来了,”他对卡里斯福特先生说,“还带着那只猴子。它昨晚又跑到她屋里去了。你要不要见见她?”
'Yes,' said Mr Carrisford. 'Yes, I would. Bring her in.'
“是的,”卡里斯福特先生说,“是的,我想见见她。带她进来。”
And so Sara came into the room and stood in front of the Indian gentleman. She smiled at him.
于是萨拉进了屋,站在这个印度绅士面前。她朝他微笑着。
'Your monkey came to my room last night,' she said, 'and I took him in because it was so cold.'
“你的猴子昨晚跑到我的屋里去了,”她说,“我留下了它,因为它很冷。”
Mr Carrisford watched her face with interest. 'That was kind of you,' he said.
卡里斯福特先生饶有兴趣地看着她的脸庞。“你心肠真好。”他说道。
Sara looked at Ram Dass by the door. 'Shall I give him to the lascar?' she asked.
萨拉看看门口站着的拉姆·达斯。“我可以把它交给这个东印度水手吗?”她问道。
'How do you know he is a lascar?' said Mr Carrisford.
“你怎么知道他是东印度水手?”卡里斯福特先生问道。
'Oh, I know lascars,' Sara said. 'I was born in India.'
“噢,我知道东印度水手,”萨拉说,“我是在印度出生的。”
Mr Carrisford sat up suddenly. 'In India?' he said. 'But you're a servant at the school next door.'
卡里斯福特先生突然坐了起来。“你出生在印度?”他问道,“可你是隔壁学校的仆人呀。”
'Yes, I am now,' said Sara. 'But I wasn't at first.'
“是的,我现在是,”萨拉说道,“可我当初并不是。”
The Indian gentleman looked at Mr Carmichael, and then Mr Carmichael looked at Sara.
这位印度绅士看看卡迈克尔先生,接着卡迈克尔先生又看看萨拉。
'What do you mean by "at first", child?' he asked.
“你说的‘当初’是什么意思,孩子?”他问道。
'When Father first took me to the school.'
“就是我爸爸刚送我来学校的时候。”
'Where is your father?' said Mr Carmichael.
“你爸爸在哪儿?”卡迈克尔先生问道。
'He died,' said Sara, very quietly. 'His friend ran away with all his money, and there was no money for me. There was nobody to take care of me.
“他去世了,”萨拉很平静地说道,“他的朋友卷着他所有的钱逃走了,我也就没有钱了,也就没有人照顾我了。
So Miss Minchin put me in the attic and said I must work for my bread.'
于是明钦小姐就把我丢进了阁屋里,说我必须干活养活自己。”
The Indian gentleman moved in his chair. 'What... what was your father's name?' he said. 'Tell me.'
印度绅士在椅子上挪动了一下。“你...你爸爸叫什么名字?”他问道,“告诉我。”
Sara looked at him sadly. 'Ralph Crewe,' she said. 'He died in India from a fever, two years ago.'
萨拉悲伤地看着他。“拉尔夫·克鲁,”她说,“他两年前在印度发烧病死了。”
Mr Carrisford's face went very white. 'Carmichael,' he whispered, 'it is the child... the child!'
卡里斯福特先生脸色变得苍白。“卡迈克尔,”他低声说道,“就是这个孩子...就是她!”