“Todd?” a woman called from somewhere in the house.
“托德?”一个女人的声音从房子里传出来,呼唤着他。
He gave me a mean look.
他恶狠狠地看了我一眼。
“You stay here. You stay,” he hissed.
“你留在这里。不许乱走。”他恶狠狠地说。
He backed out of the room, shutting the door behind him.
他退了出去,关上了门。
My eyes watering at the fumes that still filled the air, I paced around apprehensively.
空气中仍然弥漫着烟雾,呛得我流泪,我提心吊胆地在屋里踱来踱去。
The boy was calling me, and I couldn’t figure out how Todd had the right to keep me locked up in here as if it were the garage.
伊森还在一直叫我,我也不懂托德为什么有权力把我锁在这里,这里又不是车库。
Then a small sound alerted me: Linda was opening the door, holding out a soggy cracker.
然后一个轻微的声音提醒我:琳达正在开门,她手里拿着一个湿漉漉的饼干。
“Here, Bailey,” she whispered. “Good dog.”
“到这儿来,贝利,”她低声说。“乖。”
What I really wanted was out of there, but I was no idiot; I ate the cracker.
我真正想要的是离开那里,但我不傻,我还是把饼干吃下了。
Linda held the door open wider.
琳达把门开得更大了。
“Come on,” she urged, and that was all I needed.
“快来”她急声说道,我就是在等这一刻啊。
I bounded down the hallway after her, turning down some stairs and trotting to the front door.
我跟在她后面,沿着走廊蹦蹦跳跳地跑下去,转下几级楼梯,小跑着来到前门。
She pushed it open and the cool air washed those horrible fumes right out of my head.
她推开门,清凉的空气瞬间把我脑袋里的烟熏雾绕冲得一干二净。
Mom’s car was down the street, and the boy was leaning out of it, calling, “Bailey!” I took off as fast as I could, in hot pursuit.
妈妈的车就在街那头,伊森从车里探出头来,叫道:“贝利!”我以最快的速度奔过去。
The car’s taillights flashed brightly and Ethan was out on the street, running to me.
汽车的尾灯闪着亮光,伊森也来到街上,向我跑来。
“Oh, Bailey, where have you been?” he said, burying his face in my fur. “You are a bad, bad dog.”
“天,贝利,你上哪儿去了?”他把脸埋在我的毛发里说。“你急死我了,真不乖。”
I knew being a bad dog was wrong, but the love pouring out of the boy was so strong,
我知道不乖是不对的,但从男孩身上散发出来的爱是如此浓烈,
I couldn’t help but feel that in this case, being a bad dog was somehow good.
我不禁觉得,如果能拥有伊森这般浓烈的爱,做一只不乖的狗狗也挺好的。
It wasn’t long after my adventure at Todd’s house that I was taken on a car ride to see a man in a clean, cool room.
我在托德家的那次冒险后不久,就被带到一个干净、凉爽的房间里去看一个男人。