Chapter Eight
第八章
Todd let me in his house through the back door, shutting it noiselessly behind him.
托德让我从后门进入他的房子后,把他身后的门悄无声息地关上了。
Some of the windows were covered, giving the place a dark, gloomy feel.
一些窗户是遮上的,给人一种黑暗、阴郁的感觉。
Todd led me past the kitchen, where his mother was sitting and watching a flickering television.
托德带我走过厨房,他妈妈正坐在厨房里看时不时闪一下的电视。
I knew from Todd’s behavior that I was supposed to be quiet, but I thumped my tail a little when I smelled the mother,
我从托德的行为中感觉到自己应该保持安静,但是当我闻到妈妈的味道时,我还是轻轻甩动了一下我的尾巴,
who carried a strong chemical odor similar to the man who had found me by the road and named me Fella.
托德的妈妈身上有一股强烈的化学气味,很像那个在路上发现我并叫我“小伙子”的人。
The mother didn’t see us, but Linda sure did.
托德的母亲没有看见我们,但琳达肯定看见了。
She sat upright when we walked past her in the living room.
因为当我们在客厅里经过她时,她坐直了身子。
She, too, was watching television, but she slid off the couch and made to follow us down the hallway.
她本来也在看电视,但她迅速从沙发上下来,跟着我们一起沿着走廊走。
“No,” Todd hissed at her.
“被跟着我”托德对她嘘声说。
I certainly knew that word.
我当然是知道这个词的意思的。
I cringed a little at the venom in Todd’s voice.
托德声音里的那股狠劲儿让我有点害怕。
Linda held her hand out and I licked it, and Todd pushed it away.
琳达伸出手来,我舔了舔,但托德把琳达的手推开了。
“Leave me alone.” He opened a door and I went inside, sniffing at the clothes on the floor.
“别来多事。”他打开一扇门,我走了进去,闻了闻地板上的衣服。
It was a small room with a bed in it.
这是一个小房间,里面有一张床。
He locked the door behind us.
他把我们身后的门锁上了。
I found a crust of bread and ate it quickly, just performing a quick cleanup.
我找到了一小块面包,很快地吃了下去,简单表演了一下我是如何做清理的。
Todd pushed his hands into his pockets.
托德把双手插进了口袋。
“Okay,” he said. “Okay, now . . . now . . .” He sat at his desk and opened a drawer.
“好”他说。“好,现在……现在我们……”他坐在办公桌前,打开了一个抽屉。
I could smell firecrackers in there; the pungent odor was unmistakable.
我能闻到里面的鞭炮味,那种刺鼻的气味,我是不会弄错的。
“I don’t know where Bailey is,” he was saying quietly. “I haven’t seen Bailey.”
“我不知道贝利在哪儿,”他平静地说。“我没见过贝利。”
I wagged at my name, then yawned and collapsed on a soft pile of clothing.
我听到自己的名字,于是我摇了摇尾巴,接着打了个哈欠,躺在一堆柔软的衣服上。
I was tired from my long adventure.
今天冒险的时间有点久,我觉得很累。