A tiny knock on the door electrified Todd, who leaped to his feet.
一声微弱的敲门声瞬间让托德打起了精神,他跳了起来。
I jumped up, too, and stood behind him while he whispered angrily out his door at Linda, whom I could smell more than see in the dark hallway.
我也跳了起来,站在他身后,他在门外生气地对琳达低声说着什么。在漆黑的走廊里,我闻得到琳达的气味,却不太能看见她。
She seemed both scared and concerned, for some reason, making me anxious.
不知怎么的,她似乎既害怕又担心,这样的情绪让我也感到不安。
I started to pant a little, yawning nervously.
我开始有点喘不过气来,紧张地打着哈欠。
I felt too tense to lie back down.
我紧张得没法再躺回原处了。
The conversation ended with Todd slamming his door and locking it again.
谈话以托德摔门并锁门告终。
I watched as he went to his drawer, fished around, and brought out a small tube.
我看着他走到抽屉那里,在找着什么东西,然后他拿出一根小管子。
He was emanating an agitated excitement.
他的激动呼之欲出。
He removed the top and took a tentative sniff while heavy chemical vapors instantly filled the room.
他取下盖子,试探性地闻了闻,与此同时,房间里立刻充满了浓烈的化学气体。
I knew the astringent odor from when the boy and Dad would sit at the table and play with their airplane toys.
每当伊森和爸爸坐在桌旁玩他们的飞机玩具时,我也会闻到了这种刺鼻的气味。
When Todd shoved it at me I already knew I didn’t want my nose anywhere near the tube, and I jerked my head away.
所以当托德把它推向我时,我就知道我一点儿都不会想靠近那管子,所以我把头扭开了。
I sensed the flash of rage in Todd, and it frightened me.
我感觉到了托德的愤怒,这让我很害怕。
He picked up a cloth and dripped a lot of clear liquid from the tube onto it,
他拿起一块布,从管子里滴了许多透明的液体到那块布上,
folding and squeezing the cloth so that the sticky coating was all over it.
他折叠并揉搓那块布,想让那粘稠的液体布满那块布。
Just then I heard Ethan, a plaintive cry from outside the window.
就在这时,我听到窗外传来伊森的叫喊声。
“Bayleeeee!” he was calling.
“贝利!他喊道。
I ran to the window and jumped up, but it was too high for me to see out, so I barked in frustration.
我跑到窗前,跳了起来,但窗台太高了,我看不见外面,所以我沮丧地哀嚎。
My rear end stung as Todd struck it with an open palm.
突然,托德用手掌打我的屁股,特别痛。
“No! Bad dog! No barking!”
“不许叫!臭狗!不许叫!”
Again, the heat of his fury flowed off of him as strong as the vapors coming from the cloth in his hand.
他再次散发怒气,如同那块布上的气味一样强烈。