"My house looks well, doesn't it?" he demanded. "See how the whole front of it catches the light."
“我的房子看起来不错,对吧?看看它的整个正面是如何发光的。”
I agreed that it was splendid.
我也觉得这房子很不错。
"Yes." His eyes went over it, every arched door and square tower.
“是的。”他的眼睛扫视着房子的每一扇拱门和每一座方塔。
"It took me just three years to earn the money that bought it."
“我只花了三年时间就赚到了买它的钱。”
"I thought you inherited your money."
“我以为你的钱是继承来的。”
"I did, old sport," he said automatically, "but I lost most of it in the big panic--the panic of the war."
“是的,老兄,”他下意识地说,“但在大恐慌时——在战争的恐慌中我的大部分钱都丢了。”
I think he hardly knew what he was saying,
我想他几乎不知道自己在说什么,
for when I asked him what business he was in he answered "That's my affair,"
因为我问他是干什么的,他回答说:“那是我自己的事。”
before he realized that it wasn't the appropriate reply.
后来他意识到了这个回答不太合适。
"Oh, I've been in several things," he corrected himself.
“哦,我干过很多活,”他纠正自己说。
"I was in the drug business and then I was in the oil business. But I'm not in either one now."
“我先是做药材生意,然后又做石油生意。但我现在两个都不在干了。”
He looked at me with more attention.
他更专注地看着我。
"Do you me an you've been thinking over what I proposed the other night?"
“你有没有想过那天晚上我向你提的那件事?”
Before I could answer, Daisy came out of the house and two rows of brass buttons on her dress gleamed in the sunlight.
我还没来得及回答,黛西就从屋里出来了,她衣服上的两排铜纽扣在阳光下闪闪发光。
"That huge place THERE?" she cried pointing.
“那个大地方?”她指着叫道。
"Do you like it?"
“你喜欢吗?”
"I love it, but I don't see how you live there all alone."
“我喜欢那里,但我不明白你怎么一个人住在那里。”
"I keep it always full of interesting people, night and day.
“我总是用它招待各种有趣的人,无论白天还是黑夜。
People who do interesting things. Celebrated people."
来的人都很有趣,还有很多名人。”
Instead of taking the short cut along the Sound we went down the road and entered by the big postern.
我们没有抄近路,而是沿着大路走,从后门进去。
With enchanting murmurs Daisy admired this aspect or that of the feudal silhouette against the sky, admired the gardens,
黛西低声用迷人的声音说着话,一边欣赏着高耸的中世纪城堡,一边欣赏着花园,
the sparkling odor of jonquils and the frothy odor of hawthorn and plum blossoms and the pale gold odor of kiss-me-at-the-gate.
赞赏闪闪发光的长寿花、泡沫般的山楂花和西梅花,以及淡金色的忍冬花的香味。
It was strange to reach the marble steps and find no stir of bright dresses in and out the door, and hear no sound but bird voices in the trees.
奇怪的是,我们走到大理石台阶上,却没有衣裙鲜艳的人在门口进进出出的动静,除了树上的鸟鸣声,什么也听不到。