"We haven't met for many years," said Daisy, her voice as matter-of-fact as it could ever be.
“我们好多年没见面了,”黛西说,她的声音是那么平淡无奇。
"Five years next November."
“到十一月整五年。”
The automatic quality of Gatsby's answer set us all back at least another minute.
盖茨比下意识的回答让我们又愣了至少一分钟。
I had them both on their feet with the desperate suggestion
我不得不建议他们站起来,
that they help me make tea in the kitchen when the demoniac Finn brought it in on a tray.
帮我在厨房里泡茶,这时,那个恶魔般的芬兰佣人用托盘把茶了端进来。
Amid the welcome confusion of cups and cakes a certain physical decency established itself.
在手忙脚乱地分发了茶和蛋糕后,大家终于恢复了正常。
Gatsby got himself into a shadow and while Daisy and I talked looked conscientiously from one to the other of us with tense unhappy eyes.
盖茨比坐在角落里,在我和黛西说话的时候,用紧张而不高兴的眼神认真地看着我们两人。
However, as calmness wasn't an end in itself I made an excuse at the first possible moment and got to my feet.
然而,由于平静本身并不是目的,我一有机会就找借口站了起来。
"Where are you going?" demanded Gatsby in immediate alarm.
“你上哪儿去?”盖茨比马上警觉地问。
"I'll be back."
“我马上回来。”
"I've got to speak to you about something before you go."
“你走之前,我得跟你谈一件事。”
He followed me wildly into the kitchen, closed the door and whispered:"Oh, God!" in a miserable way.
他发疯似地跟着我进了厨房,关上门,痛苦地低声说:“哦,上帝!”
"What's the matter?"
“怎么了?”
"This is a terrible mistake," he said, shaking his head from side to side, "a terrible, terrible mistake."
“这是一个可怕的错误,”他摇着头说,“一个可怕的、可怕的错误。”
"You're just embarrassed, that's all," and luckily I added: "Daisy's embarrassed too."
“你只是觉得尴尬,仅此而已。”幸运的是,我补充道:“黛西也觉得尴尬。”
"She's embarrassed?" he repeated incredulously.
“她尴尬了?”他怀疑地重复道。
"Just as much as you are."
“就像你一样。”
"Don't talk so loud."
“别这么大声说话。”
"You're acting like a little boy," I broke out impatiently.
“你表现得像个小男孩,”我不耐烦地说。
"Not only that but you're rude. Daisy's sitting in there all alone."
“不仅如此,你还很粗鲁。黛西一个人坐在里面。”
He raised his hand to stop my words, looked at me with unforgettable reproach and opening the door cautiously went back into the other room.
他举起手来制止我的话,带着令人难以忘怀的责备的眼神望着我,然后小心地打开门,又回到另一个房间去了。