And then came that disconcerting ride. We hadn't reached West Egg village
然后是令人不安的旅程。我们还没有到达西卵村,
before Gatsby began leaving his elegant sentences unfinished and slapping himself indecisively on the knee of his caramel-colored suit.
盖茨比就不再说他那些优美的句子,手在他穿着焦糖色西裤的膝盖上犹豫不决地拍打着。
"Look here, old sport," he broke out surprisingly.
“听着,老兄,”他突然说道。
"What's your opinion of me, anyhow?"
“不管怎么说,你对我有什么看法?”
A little overwhelmed, I began the generalized evasions which that question deserves.
我有点不知所措,开始含糊地回避这个问题。
"Well, I'm going to tell you something about my life," he interrupted.
“好吧,我要告诉你一些关于我身世的事情,”他打断了我的话。
"I don't want you to get a wrong idea of me from all these stories you hear."
“我不想让你从那些故事中对我有错误的认识。”
So he was aware of the bizarre accus ations that flavored conversation in his halls.
所以他知道在他的大厅里有奇怪的流言蜚语。
"I'll tell you God's truth." His right hand suddenly ordered divine retribution to stand by.
“上帝作证。”他发誓似的伸出了右手。
"I am the son of some wealthy people in middleman-west--all dead now.
“我是中西部一个有钱人家的儿子——家里人都死了。
I was brought up in America but educated at oxford because all my ancestors have been educated there for many years.
我在美国长大,但在牛津大学接受教育,因为我的祖先都在那里接受了多年的教育。
It is a family tradition."
这是家族传统。”
He looked at me sideways--and I knew why Jordan Baker had believed he was lying.
他斜视着我——这时我知道了为什么乔丹·贝克认为他在撒谎。
He hurried the phrase "educated at Oxford," or swallowed it or choked on it as though it had bothered him before.
他说“在牛津受过教育”这句话的时候总是急匆匆的,仿佛这句话以前曾困扰过他似的。
And with this doubt his whole statement fell to pieces and I wondered if there wasn't something a little sinister about him after all.
有了这种怀疑,他的整个陈述就支离破碎了,我怀疑他到底有什么不可告人的地方。
"What part of the middle-west?" I inquired casually.
“中西部的什么地方?”我漫不经心地问。
"San Francisco."
“旧金山。”
"I see."
“我明白了。”
"My family all died and I came into a good deal of money."
“我的家人都死了,我得到了一大笔钱。”
His voice was solemn as if the memory of that sudden extinction of a clan still haunted him.
他的声音十分庄严,仿佛家族突然灭亡的记忆仍萦绕在他心头。
For a moment I suspected that he was pulling my leg but a glance at him convinced me otherwise.
我一度怀疑他是在开我的玩笑,但只要看他一眼,我就相信他不是在开玩笑。
"After that I lived like a young rajah in all the capitals of Europe--Paris, Venice, Rome--
“从那以后,我在欧洲各国的首都——巴黎、威尼斯、罗马——过着年轻印度王公一样的生活,
collecting jewels, chiefly rubies, hunting big game, painting a little, things for myself only,
收集珠宝,主要是红宝石,猎猎物,偶尔画画,只是用来消遣,
and trying to forget something very sad that had happened to me long ago."
想要忘记很久以前发生在我身上的非常悲伤的事情。”