Chapter 5
第五章
When I came home to West Egg that night I was afraid for a moment that my house was on fire.
那天晚上,当我回到西卵的家时,我差点以为自己的房子着火了。
Two o'clock and the whole corner of the peninsula was blazing with light which fell unreal on the shrubbery and made thin elongating glints upon the roadside wires.
两点钟的时候,半岛整个都亮起了灯光,光线照在灌木丛上,把它照得像是假的,又在路边的电线上留下细长的闪光。
Turning a corner I saw that it was Gatsby's house, lit from tower to cellar.
转过一个拐角,我看见了盖茨比的房子,从塔楼一直亮到地窖。
At first I thought it was another party, a wild rout that had resolved itself into "hide-and-go-seek" or "sardines-in-the-box" with all the house thrown open to the game.
起初,我以为是另一场派对,一场疯狂的派对,玩“捉迷藏”或“盒子里的沙丁鱼”,所有的房子都敞开着,迎接这场游戏。
But there wasn't a sound.
但是一点声音也没有。
Only wind in the trees which blew the wires and made the lights go off and on again as if the house had winked into the darkness.
只有树上的风吹动了电线,让灯忽明忽暗,好像房子在黑暗中眨了眨眼睛。
As my taxi groaned away I saw Gatsby walking toward me across his lawn.
出租汽车带着噪音开走了,我看见盖茨比穿过草坪向我走来。
"Your place looks like the world's fair," I said.
“你的房子看起来像在开世博会,”我说。
"Does it?" He turned his eyes toward it absently.
“是吗?”他心不在焉地把目光转向它。
"I have been glancing into some of the rooms. Let's go to Coney Island, old sport. In my car."
“我已经检查了一些房间。我们去科康岛吧,老兄。坐我的车。”
"It's too late."
“太晚了。”
"Well, suppose we take a plunge in the swimming pool? I haven't made use of it all summer."
“那么,我们到游泳池去游泳怎么样?”我整个夏天都没用过它。”
"I've got to go to bed."
“我得去睡觉了。”
"All right."
“好吧。”
He waited, looking at me with suppressed eagerness.
他等着,急切地望着我。
"I talked with Miss Baker," I said after a moment.
“我和贝克小姐谈过了,”过了一会儿我说。
"I'm going to call up Daisy tomorrow and invite her over here to tea."
“我打算明天给黛西打电话,请她过来喝茶。”
"Oh, that's all right," he said carelessly.
“哦,没关系,”他漫不经心地说。
"I don't want to put you to any trouble."
“我不想给你添麻烦。”
"What day would suit you?"
“你哪天方便?”
"What day would suit YOU?" he corrected me quickly.
“你哪天方便?”他很快纠正了我。
"I don't want to put you to any trouble, you see."
“你知道,我不想给你添麻烦。”
"How about the day after tomorrow?" He considered for a moment.
“后天怎么样?”他想了一会儿。
Then,with reluctance: "I want to get the grass cut," he said.
然后,他勉强地说:“我要找人把草割了。”
We both looked at the grass--there was a sharp line where my ragged lawn ended and the darker, well-kept expanse of his began.
我们俩都望着草地——在我那粗糙的草坪尽头有一条清晰的线,那条线是盖茨比那片更黑、更整洁的草地的起点。
I suspected that he me ant my grass.
我想他指的是我的草地。