I was so distressed, I couldn’t help but whimper.
我很难过,禁不住呜咽起来。
The thought of the boy lying in bed without me, all alone, made me so sad I wanted to chew shoes.
一想到那个男孩独自躺在床上,没有我陪伴,我就难过得想咬鞋。
My cries grew louder, my heartbreak unrestrained.
我的哭声越来越大,我难以抑制自己的心碎。
After ten or fifteen minutes of relentless grief, the garage door cracked. “Bailey,” the boy whispered.
持续了十到十五分钟的痛苦之后,车库的门打开了。“贝利,”男孩低声说。
I ran to him in relief.
我如释重负地跑向他。
He eased out, carrying a blanket and a pillow. “Okay. Doghouse, Doghouse,” he told me.
他拿着一条毯子和一个枕头,安抚着我,“来,狗屋,狗屋,”他说着。
He crept over to the doghouse and arranged the blanket on the thin pad inside.
他蹑手蹑脚地走到狗屋,把毯子铺在里面薄薄的垫子上。
I climbed in next to him—we both had two feet sticking out the door.
我爬到他旁边——我们俩都有两只脚伸在门外。
I put my head on his chest, sighing, while he stroked my ears.
我把头靠在他的胸前,叹息着,他抚摩着我的耳朵。
“Good dog, Bailey,” he murmured.
“贝利乖,”他低声说。
A little while later, Mom and Dad opened the door from the house and stood there, watching us.
过了一会儿,爸爸妈妈打开房门,站在那里看着我们。
I flapped my tail but didn’t get up, not wanting to wake the boy.
我拍打着尾巴,但没有起来,不想吵醒那个男孩。
Finally, Dad came out and picked up Ethan and Mom gestured to me and the two of us were put to bed inside the house.
最后,爸爸出来抱起伊森,妈妈向我做了个手势,我们俩就都在屋里睡了。
The next day, as if we hadn’t learned anything from our mistakes, I was out in the garage again!
第二天,好似没有从错误中学到任何东西的我又跑到车库里来了!
This time there was far less for me to do, though I did, with some effort, manage to tear the pad out of the doghouse and shred it up pretty well.
这一次我能做的事少了很多。过,费了点力气之后,我还是成功把垫子从狗屋里扯了出来,撕得粉碎。
I knocked over the trash container but couldn’t get the lid off.
我打翻了垃圾桶,但是卸不掉盖子。
Nothing on the shelves was chewable—nothing I could reach, anyway.
架子上的东西都是没法嚼——不过我也够不着。
At one point I went over and assaulted the flap over the dog door, my nose picking up the rich scent of an oncoming rainstorm.
中间我还走向狗门上的翻盖,向那翻盖发起了进攻,但我闻到了一股强烈的气味,预示着暴风雨即将到来。
Compared to the Yard, where a dry, sandy dust had coated our parched tongues every day, the place the boy lived was wetter and colder,
院子里每天都有一层干燥的沙尘覆盖在我们焦渴的舌头上,相比之下,男孩住的地方更加潮湿和寒冷,
and I loved the way scents would blur together and re-form when it rained.
我喜欢下雨,因为下雨时,气味会模糊在一起,然后重新形成新的气味。