Moments later I was back in the garage, helping the boy,
过了一会儿,我回到了车库里,想帮那个男孩,
who picked up everything I’d played with and put most of it into the trash container I’d knocked over.
他把我玩过的所有东西都捡了起来,然后把其中的大部分都扔进了我打翻的垃圾桶里。
Mom came out and sorted through the clothing, taking some into the house with her,
妈妈走过来整理了衣服,还带了一些衣服进了屋,
but no one praised me for discovering where the items had been hiding.
但没人因为我发现了这些东西藏在哪里而表扬我。
“Dog Door,” the boy said crossly, but he didn’t give me any treats.
男孩生气地说着“狗门”,但没有给我任何奖励。
I was beginning to think that “Dog Door” was the same as “bad dog,” which was very disappointing, to say the least.
我开始认为“狗门”和“不乖”是一个意思,这样的结果让我非常失望。
Obviously, this had been a very upsetting day for everybody, and I was certainly willing to put the whole incident behind us,
显然,这一天对家里的每个人来说都是非常难过的一天,不过我肯定是愿意把这件事抛到脑后的,
but when Dad came home Mom and the boy talked to him and he yelled, and I knew he was mad at me.
但爸爸回家之后,妈妈和男孩跟爸爸说话的时候,他喊叫了起来,我知道他在生我的气。
I slunk off into the living room and ignored Smokey’s snide expression.
我偷偷溜进客厅,没有理会斯莫基冷嘲冷讽的表情。
Dad and the boy left right after dinner.
爸爸和男孩吃过晚饭就离桌了。
Mom sat at the table and stared at papers, even when I approached and put a wonderful wet ball in her lap.
妈妈坐在桌边盯着报纸,即使我走近她、把一个湿漉漉的球放在她腿上时,她还是盯着报纸。
“Oh, yuck, Bailey,” she said.
“啊,呃,贝利,”她说道。
When the boy and Dad came home, the boy called me out into the garage and showed me a big wooden box.
当男孩和爸爸回家时,男孩把我叫到车库里,给我看了一个大木箱。
He climbed inside, so I joined him, though the space was hot and tight with the two of us in there.
他爬了进去,所以我也爬了进去,尽管我们两个在里面的空间又热又拥挤。
“Doghouse, Bailey. This is your doghouse.”
“狗屋,贝利。这是你的狗屋。”
I didn’t see how the box related to me, but I was certainly happy to play “Doghouse” when treats were introduced into the mix.
我不知道这个箱子和我有什么关系,但如果有食物作为奖励,我也愿意接受这个“狗屋”。。
“Doghouse” meant “go inside the doghouse and eat the dog biscuit.”
“狗屋”的意思是“走进狗屋,吃狗饼干。”