Hi, John! Have you seen the Man in the High Castle?
嗨,约翰!你看过《高堡奇人》吗?
Yes--the show about a fictional universe that is similar to ours.
是的——这部剧讲述的是一个虚构的宇宙,它与我们的宇宙相似。
In that universe, the United States was occupied after World War 2.
在那个宇宙中,美国在第二次世界大战后被占领。
Right! The show explores an unreal situation in the past--and the possible results that come from that situation.
没错!这部剧探讨了过去一种不真实的情况——以及这种情况可能产生的结果。
I love shows and books that explore history in that way!
我喜欢用这种方式探讨历史的节目和书籍!
Me too! I was thinking that the Man in the High Castle is in some ways like a kind of conditional statement we talk about in grammar classes.
我也是!我觉得《高堡奇人》在某种程度上就像我们在语法课上讲的条件句。
Right! We sometimes call such statements the third conditional.
没错!我们有时把这种陈述称为第三条件句。
This kind of statement suggests that if one thing happened, another thing would have happened.
这种陈述表明,如果一件事发生了,另一件事也会发生。
Right.
没错!
Here's an example: If I had studied the lesson, I would have passed the test.
下面举一个例子:如果我学了那一课,我就能通过考试了。
But the reality is you did not study for the lesson, so you did not pass the test.
但现实是,你没有学习那一课,所以你没有通过考试。
Don't worry--I wasn't the worst student in my class.
别担心——我不是班上最差的学生。
The structure for this kind of conditional statement is past perfect (or past perfect subjunctive) + a modal + have + a past participle.
这种条件句的结构是:过去完成时(或用过去完成时表示的虚拟语气)+情态动词+have+过去分词。
That's complicated!
这太复杂了!
What is important is that English learners understand the idea and situation of this kind of conditional.
重要的是让英语学习者了解这种条件句的概念和使用情况。
That's right! The details will come with practice, listening, and careful study!
没错!细节将通过练习、听和认真学习来了解!
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。