Hello! John, how are you today?
你好!约翰,你今天好吗?
Hello, John, are you ok?
你好,约翰,你还好吗?
Excuse me! Hello, Dr. Jill.
对不起!你好,吉尔博士。
Sorry for the delay--I was lost in thought.
对不起,耽搁了——我刚才在沉思。
Were you daydreaming again?
你刚才又在做白日梦了吗?
Yes, imagining what I would do if I finally invest in a successful business.
是的,想象一下,如果我最终投资了一家成功的企业,我会做什么。
Pay off all of your debts?
还清你所有的债务吗?
No, buy more grammar books, of course.
不,当然是买更多的语法书。
I think you need a new hobby, John.
我认为你需要一个新的爱好,约翰。
Yeah, you're probably right.
是的,你可能是对的。
In any case, I was thinking about grammar and daydreams.
无论如何,我都在想着语法和白日梦。
How do they connect?
它们是如何联系在一起的?
Well, we make certain kinds of statements about unlikely or unreal situations.
我们对不太可能或不真实的情况做出某些陈述。
These statements are called conditional statements--specifically, the second conditional statement.
这些陈述被称为条件句——具体地说,是第二条件句。
Right! They have an "if" clause that uses either the past subjunctive or the simple past, and then a main clause that uses a modal and an infinitive.
没错!它们含有一个使用过去式虚拟语气或一般过去式的“if”从句,还含有一个使用情态动词和不定式的主句。
Exactly! Think of statements such as: If I were rich, I would retire and read grammar books all day.
正是如此!想想这样的陈述:如果我有钱,我会退休,整天读语法书。
The if-clause suggests an unreal situation, and the main clause suggests what would happen in an unreal future.
if从句表示一种不真实的情况,而主句表示在一种不真实的未来会发生什么。
Or how about this, John: If John talked less about grammar, he would be a more interesting person.
或者这句话怎么样,约翰:如果约翰少谈语法,他会是一个更有趣的人。
You're teasing me a lot today.
你今天老是取笑我。
And please note that conditional statements can often be mixed up.
请注意,条件句经常会被混淆。
The if clause does not have to come first.
if从句不是必须放在前面的。
So, I could also say, John would be a more interesting person if he talked less about grammar.
所以,我也可以说,如果约翰少谈语法,他会是一个更有趣的人。
I'm going to go cry.
我要哭了。
Just kidding, John.
开玩笑的,约翰。
It's great that you love grammar so much!
你如此热爱语法真是太好了!
That's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。