The last time it was life I brought to Storm's End, shaped to look like onions.
上次我来风息堡,带来了洋葱,带来了生命;
This time it is death, in the shape of Melisandre of Asshai.
这一次,我带来亚夏的梅丽珊卓,带来的是死亡。
Sixteen years ago, the sails had cracked and snapped with every shift of wind,
记得十六年前,在紊乱的海风吹拂下,船帆劈啪作响、噪声不止,
until he'd pulled them down and gone on with muffled oars.
最后他只得下令降帆,依靠沉静地摇桨,偷偷摸摸地靠近,
Even so, his heart had been in his gullet.
心提到了嗓子眼。
The men on the Redwyne galleys had grown lax after so long, however, and they had slipped through the cordon smooth as black satin.
好在雷德温舰队的士兵因为无仗可打,早已松懈下来,他们才得以如柔顺的黑缎般摸过警戒线。
This time, the only ships in sight belonged to Stannis, and the only danger would come from watchers on the castle walls.
而这一次,放眼四望,所有的船只都属于史坦尼斯,惟一的危险是城上的哨兵。
Even so, Davos was taut as a bowstring.
即使如此,戴佛斯依然紧张得像拉满的弓弦。
Melisandre huddled upon a thwart, lost in the folds of a dark red cloak that covered her from head to heels,
梅丽珊卓蜷缩在横板上,从头到脚罩着一件暗红色的斗篷,
her face a paleness beneath the cowl.
兜帽遮掩下的脸庞一片苍白。
Davos loved the water.
戴佛斯喜欢流水:
He slept best when he had a deck rocking beneath him,
每当躺在摇晃的甲板上,他便容易入眠,
and the sighing of the wind in his rigging was a sweeter sound to him than any a singer could make with his harp strings.
而海风刮在索具上发出的叹息,在他听来远比歌手在琴弦上拨出的曲调甜美。
Even the sea brought him no comfort tonight, though.
然而,今夜连大海也无法给他安慰。
"I can smell the fear on you, ser knight," the red woman said softly.
“我闻到你身上的恐惧,爵士先生,”红袍女轻柔地说。
"Someone once told me the night is dark and full of terrors.
“那是因为有人刚告诉我,长夜黑暗,处处险恶。
And tonight I am no knight.
此外,今夜我不是骑士,
Tonight I am Davos the smuggler again.
今夜我再度成为了走私者戴佛斯,
Would that you were an onion."
而您则是我的洋葱。”
She laughed. "Is it me you fear? Or what we do?"
她大笑。“你怕的是我?还是我们的差事?”
"What you do. I'll have no part of it."
“这是您的差事。跟我一点关系也没有。”
"Your hand raised the sail. Your hand holds the tiller."
“不对,帆是你张,舵是你掌。”
Silent, Davos tended to his course.
戴佛斯默然无语,将注意力移向船只。
The shore was a snarl of rocks, so he was taking them well out across the bay.
岸边是团团纠结的岩石,所以他先让船远远地驶入海湾,避开礁石。
He would wait for the tide to turn before coming about.
他在等待潮汛变更,才好转变方向。
Storm's End dwindled behind them, but the red woman seemed unconcerned.
风息堡在他们身后越缩越小,但红袍女似乎并不在意。
"Are you a good man, Davos Seaworth?" she asked.
“你是好人吗,戴佛斯·席渥斯?”她问。
Would a good man be doing this?
好人会干这种事?
"I am a man," he said.
“我是个男人,”他说,
"I am kind to my wife, but I have known other women.
“我对我妻子很好,但也结识过别的女人。
I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world.
我努力当个好父亲,为我的孩子们在这个世界争取一席之地。
Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight.
是的,我曾经触犯过诸多律法,但今夜我才首度感觉罪恶。