"When I came as your envoy, Lord Penrose received me more courteously than most," Davos said.
“当我以您信使的身份遍访南境诸侯时,庞洛斯大人待我最为客气有礼,”戴佛斯说,
"He is an old done man, sire. Sickly and failing."
“但他已经老朽不堪,陛下。他虚弱无力,疾病缠身。”
"Florent would have him fail more visibly.
“佛罗伦的意思就是要在大庭广众之中展示他的虚弱。
In his son's sight, with a noose about his neck.
比方说,在他亲生儿子面前,给他脖子套上绳索。”
" it was dangerous to oppose the queen's men, but Davos had vowed always to tell his king the truth.
反对后党是危险的举动,但戴佛斯发誓要对国王永远忠实。
"I think that would be ill done, my liege.
“我以为此举很不妥当,国王陛下。
Ser Cortnay will watch his father die before he would ever betray his trust.
就算科塔奈爵士看着父亲死在面前,以他的操守,也决不会负人所托。
It would gain us nothing, and bring dishonor to our cause."
这样的行为对我们毫无益处,徒然为我们的事业蒙上污名罢了。”
"What dishonor?" Stannis bristled.
“污名?”史坦尼斯恼火地说,
"Would you have me spare the lives of traitors?"
“莫非你要我饶恕叛国者的性命?”
"You have spared the lives of those behind us."
“您不就饶恕了后面这群老爷?”
"Do you scold me for that, smuggler?"
“你在指责我,走私者?”
"It is not my place." Davos feared he had said too much.
“我没资格责备陛下。”戴佛斯惟恐自己说得太多。
The king was relentless.
国王不依不饶。
"You esteem this Penrose more than you do my lords bannermen. Why?"
“你对这位庞洛斯的评价比对我帐下诸侯的评价还要高。为什么?”
"He keeps faith."
“因为他坚持信念。”
"A misplaced faith in a dead usurper."
“坚持对一位死了的篡夺者的信念。”
"Yes," Davos admitted, "but still, he keeps faith."
“不错,”戴佛斯同意,“然而终究,他能坚持。”
"As those behind us do not?"
“而我们后面这群人做不到?”
Davos had come too far with Stannis to play coy now.
戴佛斯已经在史坦尼斯面前说了太多,此时再不能假装腼腆。
"Last year they were Robert's men.
“去年他们是劳勃的人。
A moon ago they were Renly's.
一个月之前是蓝礼的部下。
This morning they are yours.
今早上却又都成了您的忠臣。
Whose will they be on the morrow?"
那么明天,他们会倒向谁呢?”
And Stannis laughed.
听罢此言,史坦尼斯哈哈大笑。
A sudden gust, rough and full of scorn.
笑声犹如一场突兀的风,声调粗鲁,满是嘲弄。
"I told you, Melisandre," he said to the red woman,
“我不是给你说了吗,梅丽珊卓?”他对红袍女道,
"my Onion Knight tells me the truth."
“我的洋葱骑士总能对我实言相告。”
"I see you know him well, Your Grace," the red woman said.
“您的确很了解他,陛下。”红袍女说。
"Davos, I have missed you sorely," the king said.
“戴佛斯,我一直很想念你。”国王说,
"Aye, I have a tail of traitors, your nose does not deceive you.
“你说得没错,在我后面,跟了一大群叛国贼,我的鼻子不会欺骗我,
My lords bannermen are inconstant even in their treasons.
我的这帮封臣爵爷们在犯上作乱期间尚且反复无常!
I need them, but you should know how it sickens me to pardon such as these when I have punished better men for lesser crimes.
我是需要他们,但你要知道:我曾因更轻微的罪行惩罚过比他们高贵的人,如今却不得不欣然饶恕他们的罪孽,心里是很难受的。
You have every right to reproach me, Ser Davos."
你完全有理由责备我,戴佛斯爵士。”
"You reproach yourself more than I ever could, Your Grace.
“您自责的程度比我想说的还要深刻,陛下,
You must have these great lords to win your throne—"
不用过虑,您需要这些大诸侯为您的王位而——”
"Fingers and all, it seems." Stannis smiled grimly.
“他们只是我的指头,如此而已。”史坦尼斯露齿而笑。
Unthinking, Davos raised his maimed hand to the pouch at his throat, and felt the fingerbones within. Luck.
戴佛斯本能把手伸向脖子上的皮袋,感觉到内里的指骨。幸运符。