Lord Hoster Tully was much as she had left him—abed, haggard, flesh pale and clammy.
霍斯特·徒利公爵和她离他南下那天没什么差别——卧病在床,形容枯槁,皮肤苍白粘湿。
The room smelled of sickness, a cloying odor made up in equal parts of stale sweat and medicine.
屋里充满疾病的味道,这股气息混合着病人的尿汗和药品的气味,令人作呕。
When she pulled back the drapes, her father gave a low moan, and his eyes fluttered open.
她拉开床幔,父亲发出一声低吟,颤抖着张开眼睛。
He stared at her as if he could not comprehend who she was or what she wanted.
他久久凝视她,仿佛弄不懂她是谁,或是怀疑她要干什么。
"Father." She kissed him. "I am returned."
“爸爸。”她亲吻他,“我回来了。”
He seemed to know her then.
他似乎记起她来。
"You've come," he whispered faintly, lips barely moving.
“你走了啊,”他喃喃地说,嘴唇几乎不能移动。
"Yes," she said. "Robb sent me south, but I hurried back."
“是的,”她说。“罗柏派我去了南方,不过我很快便回来了。”
"South... where... is the Eyrie south, sweetling?
“南方……哪儿……是南方的鹰巢城吧,亲爱的?
I don't recall... oh, dear heart, I was afraid... have you forgiven me, child?"
我记不得了……噢,我的心肝宝贝,我害怕……你原谅我了吗,孩子?”
Tears ran down his cheeks.
老人的泪水静静地从脸颊滑落。
"You've done nothing that needs forgiveness, Father."
“你没做什么需要我原谅的事,爸爸。”
She stroked his limp white hair and felt his brow.
她把他软塌的白发向后一拢,抚摸他的额头。
The fever still burned him from within, despite all the maester's potions.
不管学士用了多少药,他体内仍有高热燃烧。
"It was best," her father whispered.
“这安排再好不过,”父亲低语。
"Jon's a good man, good... strong, kind... take care of you... he will...
“琼恩是个好人,好人……强壮,善良……照顾你……他会好好照顾……
and well born, listen to me, you must, I'm your father... your father...
况且他出生高贵,听我说,你一定要去,我是你的父亲……你的父亲……
you'll wed when Cat does, yes you will..."
你要和凯特一起结婚,是的,你要和……”
He thinks I'm Lysa, Catelyn realized.
他以为我是莱莎,凯特琳意识到。
Gods be good, he talks as if we were not married yet.
诸神慈悲,他说起话来当我俩都还没结婚。
Her father's hands clutched at hers, fluttering like two frightened white birds.
父亲用双手紧紧攥住她的手,颤抖的手掌活像一对受惊的白鸽。
"That stripling... wretched boy... not speak that name to me, your duty... your mother, she would..."
“那小子……无耻之徒……不准再提那个名字,你的责任……你的母亲,她若在世……”
Lord Hoster cried as a spasm of pain washed over him.
一阵疼痛的痉挛突然穿透全身,霍斯特大人不禁叫喊起来。
"Oh, gods forgive me, forgive me, forgive me. My medicine..."
“噢,诸神饶恕我吧,饶恕我,饶恕我。我的药……”
And then Maester Vyman was there, holding a cup to his lips.
韦曼师傅当下便闪进门内,端着杯子给他灌药。