"He has," Edmure said stubbornly.
“他没有二心,”艾德慕固执地说。
"The Freys fought bravely in the Whispering Wood, and old Ser Stevron died at Oxcross, we hear.
“在呓语森林,佛雷家的人英勇奋战,我们还听说,
Ser Ryman and Black Walder and the rest are with Robb in the west, Martyn has been of great service scouting,
老爵士史提夫伦在牛津战死疆场。莱曼爵士、黑瓦德及其他人随罗柏西征,马丁留在这里,出色地完成斥候任务,
and Ser Perwyn helped see you safe to Renly.
而派温爵士又护送你平安地去了蓝礼那边。
Gods be good, how much more can we ask of them?
诸神在上,我们还能要求他们什么?
Robb's betrothed to one of Lord Walder's daughters, and Roose Bolton wed another, I hear.
罗柏已和瓦德大人的女儿订了婚,听说卢斯·波顿也娶了一个。
And haven't you taken two of his grandsons to be fostered at Winterfell?"
对了,你不是还收他两个孙子在临冬城当养子么?”
"A ward can easily become a hostage, if need be."
“必要时,养子就是人质。”
She had not known that Ser Stevron was dead, nor of Bolton's marriage.
她还不知史提夫伦爵士的死讯,也不知波顿的婚事。
"If we're two hostages to the good, all the more reason Lord Walder dare not play us false.
“那我们有了两个,这不更保险了?
Bolton needs Frey's men, and Ser Helman's as well.
听我说,凯特,波顿需要佛雷的人马,也需要赫曼爵士的人。
I've commanded him to retake Harrenhal."
我已明令他进军夺回赫伦堡。”
"That's like to be a bloody business."
“这任务可不简单。”
"Yes, but once the castle falls, Lord Tywin will have no safe retreat.
“没错,但只要此城陷落,泰温公爵便无处可退。
My own levies will defend the fords of Red Fork against his crossing.
我自己的军队将在红叉河的渡口顽强抗击他的渡河企图。
If he attacks across the river, he'll end as Rhaegar did when he tried to cross the Trident.
他若打算强渡,下场将和当年三叉戟河畔的雷加一样。
If he holds back, he'll be caught between Riverrun and Harrenhal,
他若退回去,则被夹在奔流城和赫伦堡之间进退维谷,
and when Robb returns from the west we can finish him for good and all."
只等罗柏回师,我们便能干净彻底地消灭他。”
Her brother's voice was full of brusque confidence,
弟弟的声音里有无比的自信,
but Catelyn found herself wishing that Robb had not taken her uncle Brynden west with him.
但凯特琳是多么希望罗柏没把布林登叔叔也带走啊。
The Blackfish was the veteran of half a hundred battles;
黑鱼一生经历大小数十场战斗,
Edmure was the veteran of one, and that one lost.
艾德慕只经历过一次,这惟一的一次还是一败涂地。
"The plan's a good one," he concluded.
“这是个很棒的计划,”他总结。
"Lord Tytos says so, and Lord jonos as well.
“泰陀斯大人这么说,杰诺斯大人也这么说。
When did Blackwood and Bracken agree about anything that was not certain, I ask you?"
你想想,布莱伍德和布雷肯什么时候就不确定的事达成过一致呢?”
"Be that as it may." She was suddenly weary.
“该怎样就怎样吧。”她突然觉得很疲惫。
Perhaps she was wrong to oppose him.
或许她不该反对他,
Perhaps it was a splendid plan, and her misgivings only a woman's fears.
或许这真是个了不起的计划,而她怀有的不过是妇人之虑。
She wished Ned were here, or her uncle Brynden, or...
她只希望奈德能在这里,或是布林登叔叔,或是……
"Have you asked Father about this?"
“你问过父亲的意见吗?”
"Father is in no state to weigh strategies.
“父亲现在的情形,怎能操劳这些战略问题?
Two days ago he was making plans for your marriage to Brandon Stark!
两天之前,他还计划让你嫁给布兰登·史塔克呢!
Go see him yourself if you do not believe me.
你不信就自己去瞧瞧。
This plan will work, Cat, you'll see."
这计划会奏效的,凯特,你等着瞧。”
"I hope so, Edmure. I truly do."
“我希望如此,艾德慕。我真心希望。”
She kissed him on the cheek, to let him know she meant it, and went to find her father.
她吻了弟弟,让他了解她的心意,接着便去找父亲。