What's happening today? Today there is reduction of physical work.
当今社会怎么了 当今社会普遍缺乏运动
More and more people today have the "luxury" of not having to physically work hard.
现在越来越多人享有无需进行辛苦体力劳动的“特权”
And I put it in quotes, because it's one of the manifestations of the under-privilege of the privilege.
我用了引号 因为这是特权中的非特权的表现
You see, in the past, we have to run after a deer for lunch,
在过去 我们要去追一只鹿才能有饭吃
or run away from a lion so that we don't become lunch.
或者逃脱一只狮子 这样才不会被吃掉
We had to gather berries for desert. What do we do today?
我们要采摘果子作甜点
Go to the desert table in our house. Or call out for pizza.
我们现在呢 去家里的甜点桌子就行了 或者叫份比萨
In the past, we had to gather logs if we wanted to keep warm.
在过去 我们要想取暖就得收集木材
Today what do we do? This exercise. Turn up the thermometer. And we pay a price.
而现在呢 就这样 打开暖气 然后为此付出代价
But you know when I grew up, when I was growing up in Israel, I remember…
我长大之后 当我在以色列长大时 我记得……
You know Israel is a Mediterranean country, 2-4 pm is siesta time.
以色列是个内陆国家 下午两点到四点是午休时间
Very quiet. Kids are not out on the street.
非常安静 孩子们都不到街上去
But at 4:00, sometimes even at 3:59, every day there was a shout from the street,
但四点整 有时甚至是3:59时 每天都会从街上传来一声叫声
calling "Taaaaal! Soccer!" Then calling other kids, "soccer!" Or "Hide and seek!" Or "running around!"
叫着“塔尔 踢足球” 然后叫其他的小孩 “踢足球”或者“捉迷藏” 或者“抓人游戏”
That's what we did from 4 pm after siesta time until 9 when we went to sleep and mom called us to have dinner.
这是我们在午休时间之后从下午四点 一直到晚上九点睡觉 还有妈妈喊吃晚饭时做的事
What happens today in Israel? And not just in Israel, around the world, at 4 pm?
而今天在以色列呢 不仅仅是以色列 全世界 下午四点是怎样的
It's not going down and playing soccer, and running around.
不是下楼踢足球或跑来跑去
It's continuing to be on the computer. It's continuing to watch television.
而是继续坐在电脑前 继续看电视