克里斯:你准备申请哪一所大学?
Marcella: None. I can’t afford to go to college. Even if I lived at home, tuition, fees, and books are just too expensive.
玛塞拉:都不申请。我付不起大学的费用。即使我住在家里,学费呀、各种费用呀、书呀都太贵了。
Chris: You could apply for financial aid.
克里斯:你可以申请贷款的。

Marcella: I don’t want to get a bunch of loans and be in debt for the next 10 to 20 years. It’s not worth it.
玛塞拉:我不想得申请一笔贷款,然后在接下来的10或20年里背负债务。那根本不值得。
Chris: Loans aren’t so bad, especially ones that are federally subsidized. Apart from that, you could get need-based grants or work-study. Put all of that together and college can be affordable.
克里斯:贷款没那么糟糕,尤其是那种政府补贴的。除了贷款,你还可以得到基本保证,或者半工半读。总的说来,大学是能够念得起的。
Marcella: I don’t want to go into debt of any kind.
玛塞拉:我不想背负任何形式的债务。
Chris: You could go to a community college and transfer to a four-year university after two years. Community college tuition is much lower.
克里斯:你可以去上社区大学,两年后再转到四年制的正规大学。社区大学的学费低一些。
Marcella: But who has the time? I have to work full-time to pay my bills.
玛塞拉:但是谁有那时间呢?我必须得全职工作应付生活开销。
Chris: Then think about a program that has a service commitment.
克里斯:那可以考虑一下有补贴的项目。
Marcella: What do you mean?
玛塞拉:什么意思?
Chris: There are teaching, military, or community service programs that will forgive or pay off your loans if you work for the organization for a few years after graduating.
克里斯:学校有许多的教育、军事或者社区服务工程,如果你毕业后在这些机构工作几年,就能够抵消或者还清贷款。
Marcella: And be an indentured servant? No, thank you!
玛塞拉:这不是契约奴隶吗!不需要,谢谢!
Chris: Okay, but most good jobs nowadays require a college degree.
克里斯:好吧,但是大多数好工作都需要大学学历。
Marcella: Not if you really have talent.
玛塞拉:不全是,只要你有能力。
Chris: Talent?
克里斯:能力?
Marcella: Yeah, haven’t you seen me mime? That’s my ticket to a great career.
玛塞拉:是的,你看过我的哑剧表演吗,这是我通往伟大事业的凭证。
Chris: I’m happy to hear you have such a practical plan mapped out for your future.
克里斯:很高兴为了自己的将来你有一项切合实际的计划。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载