'I don't ask for anything more. I can wait. Goodnight, Miss Everdene!'
"我不要求别的。我可以等待。晚安,伊芙丁小姐!"
And he left her. Bathsheba now realized how thoughtlessly she had behaved towards him,and understood how deeply he loved her.
他们分手了。芭丝谢芭现在意识到她当初的举动是多么的轻率,她也明白他是多么深地爱着自己。
She was very sorry for her mistake and was therefore punishing herself by agreeing to marry him.
她对自己所犯的错误非常内疚,因此,想以与他结婚来惩罚自己。
That evening she went round the farm as usual,lighting her lamp whenever necessary,to check that all the animals were safe.
那天晚上,她像通常一样到农场各处去查看是否所有的牲口都安然无恙。
On her way back,she was walking along the narrow public path which led to her house.
她不时地把灯点着。回去的时候,她沿着一条能通到她的屋子的小路走着。
It was very dark there, among the trees,and she was a little surprised to hear some footsteps coming towards her.
小路从树林中穿过,所以很黑。听到有脚步声走来,她有点吃惊。
It was unfortunate that she would meet the traveller at the darkest point of the path.
糟糕的是她与这位旅行者相遇的地方恰好是路上最黑的地方。
As she was about to pass the dark shape,something seemed to attach her skirt to the ground,and she had to stop
她正要与那个黑色人影擦肩而过时,地面上有什么东西挂住了她的裙子,她只好站住。
'What's happened?Have I hurt you,friend?'a man asked.
"怎么了?我伤着你了吗,朋友?"一个男人的声音问。
'No,'said Bathsheba,trying to pull her skirt away.
"没有,"芭丝谢芭说,使劲地扯裙子。
'Ah!You're a lady!The spur on my boot has got tied up with your dress.
"噢,是一位女士!我靴子上的马刺把你的裙子缠住了。
Have you got a lamp?I'll light it for you. '
你有灯吗?我给你照着。"
The light from the lamp shone suddenly on a handsome young man in a bright red and gold army uniform.
灯光照在一个英俊的年轻人身上,他身穿大红色和金色相间的军装。
He looked admiringly at Bathsheba.
他赞赏地看着芭丝谢芭。
'Thank you for letting me see such a beautiful face!'he said.
"谢谢你让我看到一张如此美丽的面庞!"他说。
'I didn't want to show it to you,'she said coldly, blushing.
"我不想让你看我的脸,"她冷冷地说,红了脸。
'Please undo your spur quickly!'He bent down to pull rather lazily at his boots.
"请你赶快松开你的马刺!"他弯腰慢慢地拉他的靴子。
'You are making it even worse,'she accused him angrily,'to keep me here longer!'
"你把事情搞得更糟了,"她生气地指责,"让我在这儿呆这么久!"
'Oh no,surely not,'smiled the soldier. 'Don't be angry.
"噢,不,我没有那个意思,"土兵笑着说。
I was doing it so that I could have the pleasure of apologizing to such a lovely woman. '
"别生气。我这样做就有机会向一位可爱的女人道歉,这是我很乐意做的。"
Bathsheba had no idea what to say.
芭丝谢芭不知说什么好。
She wondered whether to escape by pulling the material away,but did not want to tear her best dress.
她在想是否该拽出裙子,赶快走开,可她不想撕坏自己最好的裙子。
'I've seen many women in my life,'continued the young man,staring into her face,
"我一生中见过许多女人,"年轻人盯着她,继续说,
'but I've never seen a woman as beautiful as you.
"但我从未见过像你一样漂亮的女子。
I don't care if you're offended,that's the truth. '
我不在乎你是否生气,我说的是实话。"
'Who are you,then,if you don't care who you offend?'
"如果你不在意你惹了谁,那你是谁呢?"
'People know me in Weatherbury. My name's Sergeant Troy.
"威瑟伯里的人都认识我,我是托伊中士。
Ah,you see,your skirt's free now!I wish you and I had been tied together forever!'
你看,裙子解开了!我真希望我和你能永远拴在一起!"
She pulled her dress quickly away from his spurs,and ran up the path and into her house.
她迅速把裙子从马刺上拉开,沿着路跑回了屋里。