Jane:Our lease is up at the end of this year and we need to negotiate a new one.
简:我们的租约今年年底就到期了,因此需要再签新合同。
Monty:I know, but if I bring it up first, the landlord will think I'm desperate to renew.
蒙蒂:我知道,但如果我首先提起这个事情,房东肯定会认为我迫不及待想续约。
Jane:We are desperate to renew.
简:我们就是迫不及待。
We've built our business here, and it would be really difficult to uproot it and reestablish it elsewhere.
我们的生意是在这里发展壮大,现在连根拔起再去别的地方重新来过会很困难。
Monty:I know, but given our antagonistic dealings in the past, I'm afraid the landlord is going to jack up our rent and we'll be forced out.
蒙蒂:我知道,但鉴于我们过往的劣迹,恐怕房东会提高房租,那样我们就会被赶出去。
Jane:It's in the best interest of the landlord to keep a steady business leasing his property.
简:房东总是希望自己的房子能够租出个好价钱。
Monty:He might not see it that way.
蒙蒂:他可能不这么看。
He might see this as an opportunity to bring in a higher-paying tenant.
他可能会认为这是一个带来一位高薪房客机会。
Jane:Or he may realize that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
简:或者他可能意识到双鸟在林不如一鸟在手。
Monty:Or he might think, “Out with the old and in with the new.”
蒙蒂:或者他可能会想着旧的不去新的不来。
Jane:You won't know until you contact him.
简:你不你联系他永远不会知道的。
Monty:Right, but I think I'll let him stew just a little longer.
蒙蒂:对,但我想我会让他烦扰一段时间。