His expression shifted instantly to chagrin. "Are you very angry with me?"
他的神情立刻变得苦恼起来。“你很生我的气吗?”
"That depends!" I felt and sounded like I'd had the breath knocked out of me.
“那得看情况!”我感觉到,也能听到,我在大口大口地喘息着。
He waited.
他等待着。
"On?" he urged.
“基于?”他催促着。
"What you heard!" I wailed.
“你听到了什么!”我哀号道。
Instantly, silently, he was at my side, taking my hands carefully in his.
一转眼,他已经悄无声息地站到我身旁,双手小心地握住我的手。
"Don't be upset!" he pleaded. He dropped his face to the level of my eyes, holding my gaze. I was embarrassed. I tried to look away.
“别生气!”他恳求道。他俯下脸,和我的眼睛落在同一水平线上,对上了我的目光。我很窘迫,想要移开视线。
"You miss your mother," he whispered. "You worry about her. And when it rains, the sound makes you restless. You used to talk about home a lot, but it's less often now. Once you said, 'It's too green.'" He laughed softly, hoping, I could see, not to offend me further.
“你很思念你的母亲。”他耳语道。“你在担心她。下雨的时候,那声音总让你休息不好。你原来常在说家里的事,但现在少多了。有一次你说,‘这里太绿了。’”他温和地笑着,期待着——我能看出来——不致于太过冒犯我。
"Anything else?" I demanded.
“没有别的了?”我诘问道。
He knew what I was getting at. "You did say my name," he admitted.
他知道我说的是什么。“你确实说过我的名字。”他坦白道。
I sighed in defeat. "A lot?"
我挫败地叹息着。“经常?”
"How much do you mean by 'a lot,' exactly?"
“更确切些,你的‘经常’是指多频繁?”
"Oh no!" I hung my head.
“哦不!”我垂下头。
He pulled me against his chest, softly, naturally.
他把我拉到他的胸前,动作是那么的温柔,那么的自然。
"Don't be self-conscious," he whispered in my ear. "If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it."
“别难为情,”他在我的耳畔低语着。“如果我能做梦,那一定都是关于你的梦。而且我也不会为此感到羞愧的。”
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。