"How was your day?" I asked. The words were rushed; I was dying to escape to my room.
“你今天过得怎么样?”我问道。这话说得太仓促了。我迫不及待地想要逃回我自己的房间。
"Good. The fish were biting… how about you? Did you get everything done that you wanted to?"
“好极了。那些鱼都咬钩了……你呢?你把想做的事情都做完了吗?”
"Not really — it was too nice out to stay indoors." I took another big bite.
“没有——外面的天气太好了,待在屋里太可惜了。”我又咬了一大口宽面条。
"It was a nice day," he agreed. What an understatement, I thought to myself.
“今天天气很好。”他赞同道。多么保守的描述,我自忖着。
Finished with the last bite of lasagna, I lifted my glass and chugged the remains of my milk.
吃完最后一口意大利面后,我拿起我的杯子,咕噜咕噜地喝完了剩下的牛奶。
Charlie surprised me by being observant. "In a hurry?"
查理正密切关注着我,他很惊讶。“你赶时间?”
"Yeah, I'm tired. I'm going to bed early."
“是的,我累了。我要早点上床睡觉。”
"You look kinda keyed up," he noted. Why, oh why, did this have to be his night to pay attention?
“你看上去有点兴奋。”他注意到了。为什么,哦为什么,他今晚就非得这么留心注意呢?
"Do I?" was all I could manage in response. I quickly scrubbed my dishes clean in the sink, and placed them upside down on a dish towel to dry.
“有吗?”我想方设法也只能作出这样的答复。我飞快地把我的盘子在水槽里擦洗干净,然后用抹布把它们擦干。
"It's Saturday," he mused.
“今天是星期六。”他若有所思地说道。
I didn't respond.
我没有回答。
"No plans tonight?" he asked suddenly.
“今晚没安排吗?”他忽然问道。
"No, Dad, I just want to get some sleep."
“不,爸爸,我只是想去睡觉。”
"None of the boys in town your type, eh?" He was suspicious, but trying to play it cool.
“镇里没有一个男孩是你喜欢的类型,嗯?”他很怀疑,但努力抑制住了自己的情绪。
"No, none of the boys have caught my eye yet." I was careful not to over-emphasize the word boys in my quest to be truthful with Charlie.
“没有,还没有一个男孩能吸引我的眼球。”我小心地不去过分强调我的话里“男孩”那个词,以保持对查理的诚实态度。
"I thought maybe that Mike Newton… you said he was friendly."
“我以为也许迈克?牛顿……你说过他很友好。”
"He's Just a friend, Dad."
“他只是个朋友,爸爸。”
"Well, you're too good for them all, anyway. Wait till you get to college to start looking." Every father's dream, that his daughter will be out of the house before the hormones kick in.
“好吧,无论如何你都太棒了,他们配不上你。等你上了大学再开始找吧。”每个父亲的梦想,就是自己的女儿会在荷尔蒙起作用以前离开家。
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。