For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness.
因为我们知道,我们的多元化遗产是一个优势,而非劣势。
We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers.
我们国家里有基督徒也有穆斯林,有犹太教徒也有印度教徒,同时也有非宗教信徒。
We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth;
我们民族的成长受到许多语言和文化的影响,我们吸取了这个星球上任何一个角落的有益成分。
and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation,
正是因为我们民族曾亲尝过内战和种族隔离的苦酒,
and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass;
并且在经历了这些黑色的篇章之后变得更加强大更加团结,因此我们不由自主,只能相信一切仇恨终有一天都会成为过去,
that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve;
种族的划分不久就会消失,
that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself;
而且随着世界变得越来越小,我们相信终有一天人类共有的人性品德将会自动显现;
and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.
在迎接新的和平时代到来的过程中,美国需要发挥自己的作用。
To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect.
对于穆斯林世界,我们将基于共同的利益和信仰,寻找更好的合作之路。
To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict,
对于那些在世界各个地方挑起冲突或一味批评西方不良影响的领导者:
or blame their society's ills on the west know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.
你的人民评判你的依据是你建立了什么,而不是破坏了什么。
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent,
对于那些依靠腐败和欺骗并压制异议而追求权利的人们:
know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.
你们站在了人类历史的对立面;如果你们能张开紧握的拳头,我们也将伸出友谊之手。
To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow;
对于那些贫穷的人们,我们保证和你们一起建设繁茂的农场和干净的水源,
to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds.
滋养那些饥寒交迫的身体和心灵。
And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders;
对于那些与我们一样相对富裕的国家,我们不能再对外界的苦难漠不关心,
nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect.
更不能继续大肆索取世界的资源。
For the world has changed, and we must change with it.
世界必须改变,我们都必须改变。
As we consider the road that unfolds before us,
当我们审视前方的道路时,
we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains.
我们会感激那些跨越千山万水来到这里的人们。
They have something to tell us today, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages.
今天,他们有话对我们说,也是安息在阿林顿国家公墓里的先烈们时刻提醒我们的。
We honour them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service;
我们尊敬他们不仅因为是他们捍卫了我们的自由,更因为他们正是奉献精神的化身;他
a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves.
们致力于寻找远高于自身的生命真谛。
And yet, at this moment a moment that will define a generation it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all.
而此时,在这个特殊的时代,我们更需让这种精神长存。
For as much as government can do and must do,
因为无论美国政府能做多少,必须做多少,
it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies.
美国国家的立国之本最终还是美国人的决心和信念。