LESSON 53 The burial of sir John moore
第五十三课 约翰·摩尔爵士的葬礼
Not a drum was heard, not a funeral note,
没有听到任何鼓声,不是葬礼的调子,
As his corse to the rampart we hurried;
当他的尸体被包裹起来时,我们加快了速度;
Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot
没有一个士兵发出告别的鸣枪
O'er the grave where our hero we buried.
在这个我们埋葬英雄的地方。
We buried him darkly at dead of night,
我们在夜深人静时将他埋葬,
The sods with our bayonets turning,
草地上放着我们的刺刀把杆,
By the struggling moonbeams' misty light,
在朦胧的月光中挣扎,
And the lantern dimly burning.
灯在昏暗中燃烧,
No useless coffin enclosed his breast,
棺材在他胸前合上,
Nor in sheet nor in shroud we wound him;
或是用裹尸布、寿衣将他缠绕;
But he lay like a warrior taking his rest,
但是他躺着像一个在休息的武士,
With his martial cloak around him.
他的军斗篷还围绕着他。
Few and short were the prayers we said,
我们说着简短的祈祷,
And we spoke not a word of sorrow;
只字不提悲伤之词;
But we steadfastly gazed on the face of the dead,
但我们坚决地凝视着死者的面孔,
And we bitterly thought of the morrow.
痛苦地想着明天。