迷你对话:
A:What will happen to the children if you break up?
如果你们分手了,孩子们怎么办?
B:That's a relief for me and a misery for the children.
对我来说这是解脱,对孩子来说是一场灾难。
A:Why don't you make up with John.
为什么不试着和John讲和呢?
B:It's too late.
太迟了。
地道表达:
break up
小编讲解:
该短语原意是“分散,分离”,引申为“关系破裂”,多用来指“夫妻离婚”。
支持范例:
Eg.Why did you and Rohda break up?
你和罗达为什么决裂了?
Eg.The break up of their marriage was an enormous liberation for her.
她离婚一事对她是一大解脱。
Eg.I can't figure out why my girlfriend wanted to break up with me.
我弄不明白为什么我的女朋友要跟我分手。
Eg.You'd better break up with your sleazy boyfriend before you get hurt.
在你受伤之前最好早点跟你那个差劲的男朋友分手。
Eg.You are not an honest man, I have decided to break up with you.
你不是一个诚实的人,我已决定与你断交。
词海拾贝:
1. make up with:与.....重归于好,与.....言归于好
Eg.I think you should forgive Pedro and make up with him.
我想你应该原谅佩德罗,跟他和好。
Eg.I want you to make up with her. I want you to be the perfect loving husband.
我要你同她和好,当一个完美无缺的爱妻子的丈夫。
2.a relief for sb:对某人来说是一种解脱
3.a misery for sb:对于某人来说是痛苦的遭遇