迷你对话:
A:Hurry up! Time is money!
快点!时间就是金钱。
B:Don't build a fire under me. I know the importance of time.
别催我,我知道时间的重要性。
A:But you are too slow to follow them.
但是你太慢了,跟不上他们。
B:Don't you see I'm trying my best?
你没看见我正在尽力吗?
地道表达:
build a fire under sb
小编讲解:
buil是动词,有“构成,形成,使成为”的意思,build fire就是“生火”的意思,build a fire under sb字面意思是“在某人的脚下点把火”,引申为“催促某人行动起来”。
支持范例:
Eg.The landlord built a fire under the poor pesants for the debt.
地主催促可怜的农民还债。
Eg.Don't build a fire under us for an answer to your request.
不要催促我答复你们的请求。
Eg.They are building a fire under them to take an action.
他们催促他采取行动。
Eg.The boss built a fire under his emplyee to make an explaination to it.
老板催促他的雇员对这件事做出解释。
词海拾贝:
1.hurry up:赶快,快点
Eg.Hurry up, or we'll be too late to get anything to eat.
快走吧, 再晚了就吃不上饭了。
Eg.Hurry up or we will miss the train.
快点儿,不然我们就赶不上火车了。
Eg.Let' s hurry up so that we may finish the work in time.
咱们快一点,好及时完成任务。
Eg.We'll have to hurry up if we want to finish it today.
想今天完活,我们就得抓紧点儿了。
2.too... to...:太......而不能......
Eg.He is too youg to bear the misery.
他年纪太小了不能承受这样的痛苦。
Eg.Mary is too stupid to get through the final exam.
Mary智力太差了,不能通过期末考试。
Eg.The manage is too busy to have a talk to you about your salary.
经理太忙了,没法和你谈你的薪水问题。
3.try one's best:尽力,努力
Eg.I try my best, but the coach finds fault with everything I do.
我已经尽力了,但是教练仍然百般对我做的每一件事挑剔。
Eg.I'll try my best to procure you that original French novel.
我将尽全力给你搞到那本原版法国小说。
Eg.We have been trying our best to come up with a solution.
我一直在竭力相处一个解决办法。
特别申明:该节目迷你对话精选自口语书籍,其余讲解部分均为可可编辑原创,未经授权请勿转载。