Diarmuid: Hi everybody and welcome to Authentic Real English from the BBC. I'm Diarmuid. 大家好,欢迎做客BBC地道英语节目。我是圣保罗。
Feifei: And I'm Feifei. 我是菲菲。
(Typing sounds)
Feifei: Diarmuid 今天又拿来的一个新玩意儿!What's that gadget you are playing with Diarmuid? 圣保罗,你在玩什么小玩意?
Diarmuid: It's my latest toy—a netbook. 我最新的玩具——一个上网本。
Feifei: A netbook? 一个上网本?
Diarmuid: Yes a netbook. N.E.T.B.O.O.K. It's like a laptop computer only even smaller. 是的,一个上网本。它比手提电脑还要小一点。
Feifei: What a cute little computer! 这个笔记本电脑比一般的要小一些,主要是来满足一般的上网功能,也就是我们现在常说的上网本。I like your netbook, but I have a question about the name. Why is a computer called a book?
Diarmuid: That's a very good question. I suppose it's because there are lots of names for different types of computers. 这个问题问得很好。我认为是因为不同品牌的电脑有不同的名字。
Feifei: And those names can be different between Britain and America, can't they? 并且这些名字在英国和美国也有不同的名字,对吗?
Diarmuid: To an extent, yes. For example, in British English we use the word laptop. 在一定程度上,是的。比如,在英式英语中我们用laptop。
Feifei: Laptop 笔记本电脑。
Diarmuid: But in American English they call the same thing a notebook. 但是在美国我们用notebook。
Feifei: Notebook 美式英语中的笔记本电脑。英国人通常用 laptop, 而美国人会说notebook.
Diarmuid: So I think that the name netbook is a mix of two words—internet and notebook. 所以我认为上网本是英特网和笔记本的合成词。
Example
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Did you buy anything in the January sales? 你在一月大降价的时候买什么东西了吗?
B: Yes, I bought a little netbook computer. It's really handy. 是的,我买了一个小巧的上网本。它非常地便于携带。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feifei: So a netbook then is a small computer that is used mostly for surfing the internet. 因为上网本很小,所以它所能提供给我们的功能也就不必台式机和笔记本电脑了,那么大家也就用它上上网罢了。
Diarmuid: I use it mostly for surfing the web and checking emails—things like that. 我常用这个用来上网和查看邮件——还有一些类似的事。
Feifei: It's incredible how small computers are these days, isn't it? 真是无法想电脑这么小巧。
Diarmuid: It certainly is and it looks like we will soon see more tablet computers too. 它的确很轻便,它看上去更像平板电脑。
Feifei: Tablet computers 平板电脑。这种电脑使用的是最新的触摸屏技术 touch-screen technology.
Diarmuid: It's all very different from the computers I grew up with—3k of RAM and a tape player for saving files! 这个和我从小用到大的电脑很不相同,它有3K的内存和能储存文件的磁带放音机。
Feifei: You're getting old, Diarmuid. 你长大了,圣保罗。
Diarmuid: I suppose so. And on that depressing note it's time for us to go. 我也这么觉得。时代在向前发展。