Feifei: 大家好,欢迎收听由BBC制作的《地道英语》。我是冯菲菲。
Diarmuid: And I'm Diarmuid. So I've got a present for you Fefei. Here you are. 我是圣保罗。菲菲,我有一个礼物要给你。给你。
Feifei: Oh thank you... er, what is it? 哦,谢谢……这是什么?
Diarmuid: It's a stick of rock. 这是岩石里德一根棍子。
Feifei: A stick of rock. 怎么能在岩石里插一根棍子呢?But sticks are made of wood. 但是棍子是木头的。
Diarmuid: Indeed they are. But this is not a real stick and it's not made of rock either. It's a kind of sweet or candy that they sell at the seaside. 它们确实是木质的。这是在海边卖的一种糖。
Feifei: But why is it called rock if it is a sweet? 但是如果它甜的话为什么叫它岩石呢?
Diarmuid: Try taking a bite. 试着咬一口。
Feifei: Ok. 好的。
(Crunching sound)
Feifei: Ow! My teeth! 这个糖也太硬了吧,差点儿把我的牙都崩了。
Diarmuid: Now you know why it's called rock. 现在你知道它为什么叫岩石了吧。
Feifei: 这糖上面好像还写着一个什么词。What does that word say? 上面写着什么?
Diarmuid: It says Blackpool. That's a holiday resort in the north of England. 黒潭。那是一个旅游胜地,在英格兰的北部。
Feifei: Blackpool 是英格兰一个著名旅游度假胜地。
Diarmuid: Yes, this year I decided to go on holiday here in the UK instead of going to foreign country. 是的,今年我打算在英国度假,不去国外度假了。
Feifei: So you had a staycation? 所以说你要在本国度假。
Diarmuid: Exactly. This year I had a staycation. S.T.A.Y.C.A.T.I.O.N. And that's our Authentic Real English word of the day. 确实如此。今年我在本国度假。这个词就是我们地道英语今天要学的词。
Feifei: Staycation. it sounds like the word vacation. 这个词听起来和假期有点像。
Diarmuid: Yes, it's a new word that reflects the current economic situation in the UK. 是的,这是一个新的词,反映出英国现在的经济状况。
Feifei: 世界金融危机,英国也没能逃掉,所以很多英国人现在选择在英国境内度假来省钱。So staycation is a newly invented word that represents a current trend in the UK. 所以这个一个新出现的词,反映了英国现在的形势。
Diarmuid: Yes. The word has two parts: stay, as in stay here in Britain. And—cation which is part of the word vacation. 是的,这个词有两个部分:stay指留在英国,cation指度假。
Feifei: So a staycation is a holiday when you stay in your own country instead of going abroad. 所以在本国度假就是指你待在自己的国家而不是出国旅行。
Example
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Where are you going on holiday this year? 今年你打算去那儿?
B: I'm having a staycation. I'm going to stay in the UK and go camping in the countryside. 我打算在国内度假。我想在英国的乡村野营。
A: What a good idea for saving money. 这是一个可以省钱的好主意。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feifei: So did you enjoy your holiday in Blackpool. 你在黒潭的假期如何?
Diarmuid: Yes, it was great... except for the terrible weather... and the bad food... and the terrible nightlife... and the miserable people... did I say it rained everyday. 是的,很好……除了很糟糕的天气……还有不好的食物……恶劣的夜生活……卑鄙的人……我说过一直下雨了吗?