手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 高中英语 > 高中英语 > 新人教高中英语 > 新人教高中英语必修第三册 > 正文

Unit 5 The Value Of Money Workbook Reading

编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

The Million Pound Bank Note Act 2, Scene 3

百万英镑 第二幕 第3场

Henry and Portia fell in love. Henry also met an old family friend who had money troubles.

亨利和波西娅坠入了爱河。亨利还遇到了一位家里的老朋友,他经济上有困难。
His friend used Henry's name to get people to invest in his gold mine. This made Henry rich.
这朋友利用亨利的名字吸引人投资他的金矿。这使亨利变得富有。
A month has passed.Knowing the two brothers were back, Henry dressed himself in the finest clothes and went to see them with Portia.
一个月过去了。当知道兄弟俩回来后,亨利就穿上最好的衣服,带着波西娅一起去见他们。
At the brothers' home, the servant lets themin. The two brothers are seated, waiting.
一到了兄弟俩的家,家仆让他们进去。兄弟俩坐正坐在那里等着。
Good morning, gentlemen. (Roderick seems very surprised to see Portia.) Portia, these are the men who helped me.
早上好,先生们。(罗德里克看到波西娅似乎很惊讶。)波西娅,这两位就是帮助了我的人。
So very nice to meet you, kind sirs. (She gives Oliver a wink.)
很高兴见到你们,善良的先生们。(她向奥利弗眨了下眼。)
Gentlemen, I'm ready to report.
先生们,我已准备好要向你们报告了。
Er... Portia, I...
哦...波西娅,我...
Now we can decide the result of the bet which Roderick and I made. If you've won for me, you shall have any job as my gift. Have you got the million-pound bank note?
现在我们可以判断罗德里克和我打赌的结果了。如果你为我赢了,那么,作为我送你的一份礼物,你可以得到任何工作。你带了那张百万英镑的支票了吗?
Here it is, sir.
在这儿,先生!
I've won! Now what do you say, Roderick?
我赢了,罗德里克,你现在要说什么呢?
I say that I've lost twenty thousand pounds. Why, that is amazing, man!
我说我已经损失两万英镑了。为什么?这太神奇了,伙计!
Come, let's be going now, Portia.
来,咱现在走吧,波西娅。
But wait, wait! The job, you know. I ought to give you a job, as I promised.
不,等等,等等!一份工作,你明白的。我得给你一份工作,就像我承诺过的那样。
Well, thank you very much, but I really don't want one now.
哦,非常感谢,不过,现在我确实不想要工作。
Henry, I'm disappointed in you. You didn't thank the gentlemen properly. May I do it for you?
亨利,我对你很失望。你还没有恰当地感谢绅士们呢。我可以帮你表达吗?
Let me see you try.
你试试,让我看看。
Portia walks over to Roderick and gives him a hug. Then she sits in Oliver's lap, puts her arms around his neck and kisses him on the cheek.Oliver begins laughing.
波西娅走到罗德里克身边,给了他一个拥抱。然后她坐在奥利弗的腿上,搂着他的脖子,吻了吻他的脸颊。奥利弗开始大笑起来。
Papa, he says he doesn't want anything else from you.
爸爸,他说他不想从你那里得到任何其他东西。
(surprised)My dear, is that your papa?
(惊讶)亲爱的,那是你爸爸吗?
He's my stepfather.
他是我的继父。
Oh, my dearest dear sir, I apologise for what I said. You have got a job opening that I want.
哦,我最尊敬的先生,我为我说的话道歉。你那有一个职位空缺,是我想要的。
Name it.
说吧。
Son-in-law.
女婿
Well, well, well! But you've never had such a job before. How can I be sure you can do it successfully?
喔、喔、喔!可你以前从没做过这样的工作呀。我怎么才能确定你能出色地做这份工作呢?
Try me....oh, do, I beg of you!
让我试试吧……哦,我求你了!
Oh, well, all right.
哦,好吧,那好吧。
Were Portia and Henry happy? Words alone were not enough to describe it.
波西娅和亨利幸福吗?光用语言是难以描述的。
Eventually, Portia's stepfather took that bank note back to the Bank of England and cashed it.
最终,波西娅的继父把那张支票带回到英格兰银行去兑现了。
The bank note was then useless for money but was his wedding gift to the young couple.
当时,那张支票并不能当钱用,不过,却是他送给这对年轻夫妇的结婚礼物。
Yes, the bank note was worth a million pounds, but t was not worth even one tenth of what Henry felt for Portia.
是的,那张支票价值100万英镑,但它的价值甚至还不到亨利对波西娅感情的十分之一。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
disappointed [.disə'pɔintid]

想一想再看

adj. 失望的

 
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
scene [si:n]

想一想再看

n. 场,景,情景

 
fell [fel]

想一想再看

动词fall的过去式
n. 兽皮
v

联想记忆
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
wink [wiŋk]

想一想再看

n. 眨眼,使眼色,瞬间
v. 眨眼,使眼色,

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。