The Million Pound Bank Note Act 1, Scene 3
百万英镑 第一幕第三场
Two rich brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet. Oliver believes that with a million-pound bank note a man could live a month in London.
一对富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月。
His brother Roderick doubts it. They see a poor young man walking outside their house. It is Henry Adams.
他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。他们看见一个贫穷的年轻人在房子的外面游荡。他叫亨利·亚当斯。
Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
年轻人,请你进来一会儿,好吗?
Who? Me, sir?
先生,你叫谁呀?是叫我吗?
Yes, you.
是的,就是你。
(opening a door) Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?
(打开门)早上好,先生,请进。
(Henry enters the house.)
(亨利走进房子。)
How do you do, Mr... er...?
你好,先生,你贵姓?
Adams. Henry Adams.
亚当斯,亨利·亚当斯。
Come and sit down, Mr Adams.
来,请坐,亚当斯先生。
Thank you.
谢谢。
You're an American?
你是美国人?
That's right,from San Francisco.
是的,从旧金山来。
May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?
可不可以问问,你在这个国家要干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?
Well, I can't say that I have any plans. As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
嗯,谈不上有什么计划。事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。
How is that possible?
这怎么可能呢?
Well, I had my own boat. About a month ago, I was sailing, and towards night I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind. The next morning I was spotted by a ship.
嗯,我有自己的船。大约一个月前,我开着船,晚上的时候我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了。第二天早上,一艘船发现了我。
And it was the ship that brought you to England.
正是那艘船把你带到了英国。
Yes. I went to the American consulate to seek help, but... Anyway, I didn't dare to try again. (The brothers smile at each other.)
是的。我上美国大使馆求助,但是……不管怎样,我不敢再去尝试了。(兄弟俩相顾而笑。)
Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.
嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢。
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.
对不起,先生,你的话我没有听懂。
Tell us, what sort of work did you do in America?
请你告诉我们,你在美国是做什么工作的?
I worked for a mining company. Could you offer me work here?
我在一家矿业公司工作。你们能不能给我提供工作呢?
Patience. If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?
耐心点儿。如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?
Well, to be honest, I have none.
嗯,老实说,我一分钱都没有了。
(happily) What luck! Brother, what luck!
(高兴地)老兄,真走运!真有运气!
Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me! If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny. Now if you'll excuse me, I ought to be on my way.
嗯,这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是!如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得很好笑。好了,请原谅,我想我该上路了。
Please don't go. You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.
请别走。你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受。奥利弗,把信给他。
Yes, I was about to go get the letter. Wait! (getting it from a desk and giving it to Henry) The letter.
好的,我正想去拿信呢。稍等一下!(从桌上把信拿起来,递给亨利)给你信。
(taking it carefully) For me?
(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我的吗?
For you. (Henry starts to open it.) Oh, no, you'd better not open it. You can't open it until two o'clock.
是给你的。(亨利要拆信。)啊,别拆,你不要拆,到两点钟你才能打开。
Oh, this is silly.
噢,这真可笑。
Not silly. There's money in it.
这不可笑,这里边有钱呢。
Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want a job that earns an honest income.
噢,不,我不需要你们的施舍,我只要一份老老实实的工作。
We know you're hard-working. That's why we've given you the letter. (to the servant) Show Mr Adams out.
我们知道你工作是很卖力的,这正是我们给你这封信的原因。(对仆人说)请送亚当斯先生出去。
Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?
嗯,怎么不给我讲讲,这究竟是怎么回事呢?
You'll soon know. In exactly an hour and a half.
你很快就会明白的。一个半小时以后。
This way, sir.
请这边走,先生。
Not until 2 o'clock. Promise?
两点钟以前不要拆信,答应吗?
Promise. Goodbye.
答应。再见。